From: Sylvia Else on
On 9/08/2010 12:50 AM, Jon wrote:
> The electrical service goes to the house. There are 3 underground 000
> cables that go to the barn from the house. The barn has a 60 amp breaker
> in the breaker box at the house. The 12,000 watt generator is in the
> barn. It has a 50 amp 240vac outlet, a 30 amp 240vac outlet and several
> others. I am hooking the 50 amp outlet to the house. I am using the same
> 3 underground 000 cables to send generator power to the house during a
> power outage.
>
> A 90 amp contactor in the barn won't connect the generator to the house
> unless:
> 1. The electrical service to the house is off, and
> 2. The service disconnect switch at the house is off.
>
> When the generator is turned on, it tests the service disconnect at the
> house to assure the above two conditions are met. This is done by
> sending a 1 second electrical pulse to the house to see if it will
> actuate a coil. If the coil actuates, the 90 amp contactor latches open
> and prevents backfeed into the grid. If the service power turns on
> during that 1 second, the generator power and service power will clash
> and throw a 50 amp breaker to the generator.
>
> http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html

I'd have thought the grid operator would want a cast-iron guarantee that
you won't backfeed the grid, lest you enliven wires that linesmen think
are dead.

What's wrong with a DPDT relay?

Sylvia.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-08-09, PeterD <peter2(a)hipson.net> wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2010 11:02:02 GMT, Jasen Betts <jasen(a)xnet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-08-08, Jon <jon8338(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
>
>>> If the service power turns on during that 1 second, the
>>> generator power and service power will clash and throw a 50 amp breaker to
>>> the generator.
>>
>>if you're lucky.
>>

> Actually it'll probably blow his generator, and resolve the problem
> almost immediately... With luck, Jon will be fondleing it at the time.

that's now way it could go, another is the gernerator could phase-lock
with the mains. and continue to run.

From: PeterD on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:01:28 -0700, "Very Sick Edmond Wollmann"
<arcturianone(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>True, but he tried not to do that, that's why he struggled with his transfer
>circuit.

Again this makes too many hazardous assumptions about conditions and
Jon's ability to do things. Since he's proven he can not design a
simple transfer switch, there is little hope that he will have ideal
conditions for his system to work.

One problem is that Jon engineers for best/ideal conditions, and not
worst case conditions. That is what seperates a real engineer from a
wanna-be like Jon.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Sylvia Else wrote:

> On 9/08/2010 12:50 AM, Jon wrote:
> > The electrical service goes to the house. There are 3 underground 000
> > cables that go to the barn from the house. The barn has a 60 amp breaker
> > in the breaker box at the house. The 12,000 watt generator is in the
> > barn. It has a 50 amp 240vac outlet, a 30 amp 240vac outlet and several
> > others. I am hooking the 50 amp outlet to the house. I am using the same
> > 3 underground 000 cables to send generator power to the house during a
> > power outage.
> >
> > A 90 amp contactor in the barn won't connect the generator to the house
> > unless:
> > 1. The electrical service to the house is off, and
> > 2. The service disconnect switch at the house is off.
> >
> > When the generator is turned on, it tests the service disconnect at the
> > house to assure the above two conditions are met. This is done by
> > sending a 1 second electrical pulse to the house to see if it will
> > actuate a coil. If the coil actuates, the 90 amp contactor latches open
> > and prevents backfeed into the grid. If the service power turns on
> > during that 1 second, the generator power and service power will clash
> > and throw a 50 amp breaker to the generator.
> >
> > http://jons-math.bravehost.com/transfer.html
> >

> I'd have thought the grid operator would want a cast-iron guarantee that
> you won't backfeed the grid, lest you enliven wires that linesmen think
> are dead.
>
> What's wrong with a DPDT relay?

Jon is a troll.
From: Josepi on
We don't care about your communication failures.

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
Jon is a troll.