From: Baron Thener on
Dear Dave,
You got some heavy duty antivirus there. but it doesn't find the cause of
the bo:stack buffer overflow. it capture some virus in several servers but
the virus was not the same in every servers.

The reporting about buffer overflow has been rare since I tried the hotfix
from jez robinson and other windows critical update from windows update.

We'll see for a couple days if something come out again I'll come back to
this forum. Thanks a lot for the antivirus though. It really useful.

best regards,
Baron

From: Baron Thener on
Dear bredtracer,
We never experince anything like this before. and the the virus / maleware
or what ever this is is attacking multiply windows platform from windows
server 2000, server 2003, server 2003 R2, and XP SP2

Thanks for your reply.

baron

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Baron Thener" <BaronThener(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| Dear Dave,
| You got some heavy duty antivirus there. but it doesn't find the cause of
| the bo:stack buffer overflow. it capture some virus in several servers but
| the virus was not the same in every servers.

| The reporting about buffer overflow has been rare since I tried the hotfix
| from jez robinson and other windows critical update from windows update.

| We'll see for a couple days if something come out again I'll come back to
| this forum. Thanks a lot for the antivirus though. It really useful.

| best regards,
| Baron

You need to do some packet sniffing and find what computers on your LAN are infected and
searching out OTHER computers through TCP ports 135 and 445.

You need to isolate your network from the WAN better with a FireWall as well.

You indicated that there were "...some virus in several servers..."
Please identify exactly what was found.

--
Dave

From: Kayman on
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:47:00 -0800, Baron Thener wrote:

> Dear Jez.
> Thanks for the update. I've tried the hotfix. well, see in a couple of days.
> and I'll report in this newsgroup again.
> thanks.
> Baron
>
> "JezRobinson" wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> This problem appears to be related to the Microsoft Vulnerability that
>> allows remote code execution on ports 139 and 445.

Seconfig XP 1.1
http://seconfig.sytes.net/
Seconfig XP is able configure Windows not to use TCP/IP as transport
protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving TCP/UDP ports 135, 137-139
and 445 (the most exploited Windows networking weak point) closed.)
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis(a)operamail.com>

| Seconfig XP 1.1
| http://seconfig.sytes.net/
| Seconfig XP is able configure Windows not to use TCP/IP as transport
| protocol for NetBIOS, SMB and RPC, thus leaving TCP/UDP ports 135, 137-139
| and 445 (the most exploited Windows networking weak point) closed.)

Kayman:

He indicated these are servers. They are not home computers and they are partipating in a
LAN.

Closing these ports could have disasterous effects on LAN communications.

Your advice is contraindicated.

--
Dave