From: Baron Thener on
Dear Jez,
I tried to update the windows using this hotfix. it wen't well in the
windows 2000 server and windows 2003 r2. but one of our server using windows
2003 SP2 cannot be reach and cannot reach every network in our company. sthe
strange thing is ping, internet conection is ok. I even can do remote using
VNC to this server from other windows 2003 server. but if I use vista I could
not remote the computer.

everytime I go to run : \\computername it show:
the network connection could not be reach

this happen vise versa. is the hot fix close a port or something? if yes how
do you open it again?

Thanks

From: Baron Thener on
Dear Jez,
After trialing for this couple of days, we take preventive action to update
the servers. for the last server that was infected we decided to formatting
the server after we install the antivirus updating the windows update
suddently the server service is down again. but without any virus warning.
can it be the windows update contain some kind of bug? or the mcafee is the
one causing this? I already run of Idea.. please advice

Thanks

From: Baron Thener on
Sorry for the late reply dave. it cought sality or something like that. i
forgot cause i remove it once it detected. now it cause this in the event
viewer :

"Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module
shell32.dll, version 6.0.3790.4184, fault address 0x0014e84e"

i already update the windows update and the antivirus also.

From: The Other Mike on
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 19:38:01 -0800, Baron Thener
<BaronThener(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the late reply dave. it cought sality or something like that. i
>forgot cause i remove it once it detected. now it cause this in the event
>viewer :
>
>"Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module
>shell32.dll, version 6.0.3790.4184, fault address 0x0014e84e"
>

>i already update the windows update and the antivirus also.

Saw this thread and we recently went through a battle with a worm that
sounds like what you have. After patching the servers/pc's that were
infected, you still have to clean up those machines. The worm we had
created a service on the servers and PC's. So even though you patch
the machine, the service still ran...which would crash other machines
it was trying to spread to that weren't patched. We deleted the
registry keys mentioned in this alert on the infected machines...

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM%5FDOWNAD%2EA&VSect=T

We also used a network sniffer to scan for port 445 requests and
usually those PC's making alot of requests had this virus service
still on them.

From: mike on
Hi!

I had exactly the same problem on two of our 2003 servers (SP1).
It occurred 2 days ago for the first time.
I´ve found a workaround:

I installed, in order:

Hotfix KB914810 (included in SP2)
Hotfix KB932762
Security update KB958644

However the root cause is still unclear. But I suspect the auto update
service. It´s hosted by a svchost instance together with some important
networkservices.

greetings,
Michael