From: cycle on
I searched some more, turns out people find this source more representative:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2
(Net Applications)

If there is any truth to this the number of IE6 users would be significantly
higher.

It lies at about 21%, making it the most widely used IE version as well as
browser in general.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
cycle <cycle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I searched some more, turns out people find this source more representative:
>
>http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2
>(Net Applications)
>
>If there is any truth to this the number of IE6 users would be significantly
>higher.
>
>It lies at about 21%, making it the most widely used IE version as well as
>browser in general.

I had no idea. Thanks for finding those statistics.

I wonder why? Is it that hard for folks to do the Windows Updates?
Or is IE 7 and IE 8 an optional install? I can't recall now but I
think it is. I've seen non computer literate friends ignore that
"Updates are ready for your computer" for months and months.

Maybe MS should change that so after a year the latest version of IE
is no longer optional but mandatory unless you explicitly choose to
not install it.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-01-19 11:31 a.m., Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

>> http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2
>> (Net Applications)
>>
>> If there is any truth to this the number of IE6 users would be significantly
>> higher.
>>
>> It lies at about 21%, making it the most widely used IE version as well as
>> browser in general.
>
> I had no idea. Thanks for finding those statistics.
>
> I wonder why? Is it that hard for folks to do the Windows Updates?
> Or is IE 7 and IE 8 an optional install? I can't recall now but I
> think it is. I've seen non computer literate friends ignore that
> "Updates are ready for your computer" for months and months.

Unlike most updates, they require the user to explicitly agree to their EULA.
However, I'm told another major factor is the number of corporate machines which
need to run LOB web applications not yet compatible with/certified for IE7.

Heck, from what I've heard, there are still far more people than you'd think
running LOB applications that were written for 16-bit DOS and have never been
updated. Expecting the same folk to rewrite web apps so they work on IE7 is
just a bit too hopeful. :-)

Harry.

--
"I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only
foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."