From: mayayana on
I got curious about this and checked it out.

(I also took pity because you seem to be
attracting self-righteous open source people
who are usually less interested in helping than
they are interested in "setting others straight"
about trivial issues like top-posting. :)

I worked out the following that may be useful -
Doable but not easy.....

The main window - everything except title bar -
is the parent window. In Spy++ the only
child windows are the basic webpage view and
the favicon 16 sq. px. window.

In AccExplorer (Active Accessibility view)
it turns out that the toolbar area is a tool bar
object that has the same window handle as the
parent. So the toolbar is not even a window,
much less the location bar.

You can get at it with AA if you want to,
but it's not easy. You have to get the parent
window that has "Mozilla Firefox", then get it's
application child, which has the same name.
Then you have to iterate children to find
the child toolbar...then to that object's
child combo box....and finally to that child's
editable text object. Those are all aspects of one
window with the same hWnd.

If you want to use that method see here for
sample code:

http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php3

Active Accessibility was designed for use by
screen readers for the blind. It allows you to
dissect nearly any window, but the AA system
is a bit half-baked. It's tedious to use. On the
bright side, if you need it for something specific,
as you do, you can download the AA SDK, which
includes AccExplorer (like Spy++). With AccExplorer
you can see the window hierarchy and write your
code based on that.

From: Learner on
> A program you're creating is going to be installed. Think about it.

Never run an app from a remote location, eh? Tsk. Think about it.

From: Learner on
"mayayana" <mayayanaXX1a(a)mindXXspring.com> wrote in message
>I got curious about this and checked it out.
>
> (I also took pity because you seem to be
> attracting self-righteous open source people
> who are usually less interested in helping than
> they are interested in "setting others straight"
> about trivial issues like top-posting. :)
>
> I worked out the following that may be useful -
> Doable but not easy.....
>
> The main window - everything except title bar -
> is the parent window. In Spy++ the only
> child windows are the basic webpage view and
> the favicon 16 sq. px. window.
>
> In AccExplorer (Active Accessibility view)
> it turns out that the toolbar area is a tool bar
> object that has the same window handle as the
> parent. So the toolbar is not even a window,
> much less the location bar.
>
> You can get at it with AA if you want to,
> but it's not easy. You have to get the parent
> window that has "Mozilla Firefox", then get it's
> application child, which has the same name.
> Then you have to iterate children to find
> the child toolbar...then to that object's
> child combo box....and finally to that child's
> editable text object. Those are all aspects of one
> window with the same hWnd.
>
> If you want to use that method see here for
> sample code:
>
> http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php3
>
> Active Accessibility was designed for use by
> screen readers for the blind. It allows you to
> dissect nearly any window, but the AA system
> is a bit half-baked. It's tedious to use. On the
> bright side, if you need it for something specific,
> as you do, you can download the AA SDK, which
> includes AccExplorer (like Spy++). With AccExplorer
> you can see the window hierarchy and write your
> code based on that.
>
>> Does anyone know a way to get the URL from the Firefox Address Bar?
>> I've seen similar questions archived in Google Groups but no definite
>> answer with any example code. There MUST be a way. I've tried various
>> window-spying apps but none of them have shed any light on it. All I've
>> found is that the Firefox Address Bar seems to be some sort of custom
>> control that the Win32 API can't touch. :(

Thanks mayayana, I will look into your suggestions. I am coding in VB5 Pro
and cross-posted to *.win32 as I don't mind using an API solution. Thanks!

From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Learner:
>> A program you're creating is going to be installed. Think about it.
>
> Never run an app from a remote location, eh? Tsk. Think about it.

Took you some time to come up with that rejoinder, didn't it?

If you can run your own application from the network, but are forbidden
to install it locally, you should talk with your IT department.

Because then they have a security issue.

Also, do heed the advice of "argusy":

"... unless you can enlighten those in the newsgroup about what you
CAN do, this post could be a bit drawn out"

To help you solve your problem we need to know a bit more than you have
provided so far.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
From: Dag Sunde on
"Frank Adam" <fajp(a)xxxxoptushome.com.au> skrev i melding
> On 20 Apr 2006 22:54:37 +0200, "Dag Sunde" <me(a)dagsunde.com> wrote:

<snipped/>
>>There is (thankfully) a long time since the last time we had
>>such a rude person here on c.l.b.v.m...
>>
> Oh, it hasn't been that long.. and i'm still lurking. ;-)
You're been at it for so long now Frank, so you're lost the
power to insult. And yoy don't even reach the kneecaps of Neila!

:-D

--
Dag.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last