From: Grzegorz on
mayayana wrote:

> Alf's response consisted of a 1-line wisecrack
> and a 4-line cranky complaint about posting format.
> I was thinking it was *that* sort of thing that doesn't
> often show up here.

The "1-line wisecrack" pinpointed an obvious fact, the OP seemed to be missing, that if you can execute your code on a machine you can do almost everything and that may include installation of some of application's components. It's another story that any solution that does not require that is much better.

"4-line cranky complaint about posting format" is actually his signature. It seems to some it can be as annoying as top posting can be for others, but I quess it's a purpose of it.

--
677265676F727940346E6575726F6E732E636F6D
From: J French on
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 08:03:15 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Grzegorz_Wr=F3bel?=
</dev/null(a)localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>mayayana wrote:
>>
>> Alf's response consisted of a 1-line wisecrack
>> and a 4-line cranky complaint about posting format.
>> I was thinking it was *that* sort of thing that doesn't
>> often show up here.

>The "1-line wisecrack" pinpointed an obvious fact, the OP seemed to be missing, that if you can execute your code on a machine you can do almost everything and that may include installation of some of application's components. It's another story that any solution that does not require that is much better.

>"4-line cranky complaint about posting format" is actually his signature. It seems to some it can be as annoying as top posting can be for others, but I quess it's a purpose of it.

I think I can see what might be going on, 'Learner' is running his App
off a network drive (or possibly CD ROM)

The local system is completely locked down, possibly 'virtual',
possibly 'unknown', possibly 'self restoring'.

I think Mayana's Windows snooping solution is the best idea.
Here is a simple Snooper that I use for determining whether something
is 'painted' or a control ( I don't have Firefox so I'm not sure
whether it is easy to interrogate) :-

Option Explicit

' Add one Timer

Private Type POINTAPI
X As Long
Y As Long
End Type
Private Declare Function GetCursorPos _
Lib "user32" _
(lpPoint As POINTAPI) As Long

Private Declare Function WindowFromPoint _
Lib "user32" _
(ByVal xPoint As Long, _
ByVal yPoint As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function GetClassName _
Lib "user32" _
Alias "GetClassNameA" _
(ByVal hwnd As Long, _
ByVal lpClassName As String, _
ByVal nMaxCount As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function SendMessage _
Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" _
(ByVal hwnd As Long, _
ByVal wMsg As Long, _
ByVal wParam As Long, _
lParam As Any) As Long

Private Const WM_GETTEXT = &HD

Private Sub Form_Load()
Timer1.Enabled = True
Timer1.Interval = 500
End Sub

Private Function WindowInf() As String
Dim Hnd As Long, Buff$, Q&
Dim PT As POINTAPI

GetCursorPos PT
Hnd = WindowFromPoint(PT.X, PT.Y)

WindowInf = Str$(Hnd)
' ---
Buff$ = Space$(255)
Q& = GetClassName(Hnd, Buff$, Len(Buff$))
WindowInf = WindowInf + ":" + Left$(Buff$, Q)
' ---
Q& = SendMessage(Hnd, WM_GETTEXT, Len(Buff$), ByVal Buff$)
WindowInf = WindowInf + ":" + Left$(Buff$, Q)
Text1.Text = Left$(Buff$, 10)

End Function

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
Me.Caption = WindowInf
End Sub

From: Learner on

"mayayana" <mayayanaXX1a(a)mindXXspring.com> wrote in message

>> And to you, "Learner"... with that attitude you're going to have
>> a hard time getting help in this NG.
>
> Interesting that you saw it that way. I don't mean to
> start an argument, and of course "Learner" didn't
> need to be rude, but he asked a simple question
> and got two smug, dismissive answers that were not
> particularly relevant, and that implied he didn't know
> what he was talking about but might succeed if he's
> "willing to learn".

THANK YOU. Someone who can see what's really going on. :)

From: Grzegorz on
J French wrote:
> I think I can see what might be going on, 'Learner' is running his App
> off a network drive (or possibly CD ROM)
>
> The local system is completely locked down, possibly 'virtual',
> possibly 'unknown', possibly 'self restoring'.
>
> I think Mayana's Windows snooping solution is the best idea.
> Here is a simple Snooper that I use for determining whether something
> is 'painted' or a control ( I don't have Firefox so I'm not sure
> whether it is easy to interrogate) :-

I have Firefox among other browser installed and a quick look in Spy++ reveals that the problem here is that practically all Firefox's "controls" are titless "MozillaWindowClass" and "MozillaDropShadowWindowClass" top-level windows. This mess is most likely the result of portability issues ad the fact that this browser has not been designed for a particular platform. Even if you isolate the proper window for once by monitoring window messages it will be hard to build a simple algorithm that finds this specific window.

--
677265676F727940346E6575726F6E732E636F6D
From: J French on
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:51:04 +0200, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Grzegorz_Wr=F3bel?=
</dev/null(a)localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>J French wrote:
> > I think I can see what might be going on, 'Learner' is running his App
>> off a network drive (or possibly CD ROM)
>>
>> The local system is completely locked down, possibly 'virtual',
>> possibly 'unknown', possibly 'self restoring'.
>>
>> I think Mayana's Windows snooping solution is the best idea.
>> Here is a simple Snooper that I use for determining whether something
>> is 'painted' or a control ( I don't have Firefox so I'm not sure
>> whether it is easy to interrogate) :-

>I have Firefox among other browser installed and a quick look in Spy++
> reveals that the problem here is that practically all Firefox's "controls"
>are titless "MozillaWindowClass" and "MozillaDropShadowWindowClass"
>top-level windows. This mess is most likely the result of portability issues
>ad the fact that this browser has not been designed for a particular platform.
>Even if you isolate the proper window for once by monitoring window
>messages it will be hard to build a simple algorithm that finds this specific window.

Hmm ...

Maybe some other info on the Window

GetWindowContextHelpId
GetClassName - we've tried that
GetWindowLong - and look at GWL_STYLE and GWL_EXSTYLE

There must be something (or some combination of things) that are
unique about that Window
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Changing removable disk label