From: Bo Berglund on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 23:11:25 +0200, Nel <nelfrikandel(a)invalid.org>
wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:33:01 -0700, Steve Jain
><essjae(a)community.nospam> wrote:
>>1. How big is the image? It if is more than 127GB you can't mount it
>>successfully for booting in VPC. 127GB is a hard limit of the actual disk
>>size, not the amount of data. You need to resize it to 127GB or less before
>>you can attempt to boot. Google VHD resizer for links.
>
>Thanks, no it is 30Gb only
>
>>2. After that you will likely need to repair Windows since the hardware
>>emulated by the VM is not the same as the old physical computers. You will
>>need to boot from your CD and to a repair installation of Windows.
>
>I tried this but the repair option does not continue after entering
>the administrator pwd (booted from CD and having entered the R option)
>It just stays in a command prompt at c:\windows (Or do I need to
>startup an exec manually from there perhaps?)

Wrong! You have selected to use the Repair Console. This is not what I
said. You should pass the offer of repair console without using it.
Basically you should proceed as if you were to install a fresh XP.
Then later the installer will see that you already have a WinXP
installed and offer to reinstall (don't use that) or do a repair
installation.
This is the one you want.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Nel on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:29:00 +0200, Bo Berglund
<boberglund(a)myotherhome.sec> wrote:

>Wrong! You have selected to use the Repair Console. This is not what I
>said. You should pass the offer of repair console without using it.
>Basically you should proceed as if you were to install a fresh XP.
>Then later the installer will see that you already have a WinXP
>installed and offer to reinstall (don't use that) or do a repair
>installation.
>This is the one you want.
>
>--
Found it, thanks!
From: Bill Grant on

I recently upgraded to an i5 with Windows 7. Before I retired my old
machine (a P4 running Vista) I cloned it using Disk2vhd 1.4 . I simply
created a a new vm from the vhd file and away it went. I had to reactivate,
but that was it.

I also did the same for my wife's P4 with XP SP3. It booted but won't
activate (Dell OEM version of XP), but I can access any of the files by
attaching the vhd to a running vm.

From: Bo Berglund on
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:46:41 +1000, "Bill Grant" <not.available(a)online>
wrote:

> I recently upgraded to an i5 with Windows 7. Before I retired my old
>machine (a P4 running Vista) I cloned it using Disk2vhd 1.4 . I simply
>created a a new vm from the vhd file and away it went. I had to reactivate,
>but that was it.
>
> I also did the same for my wife's P4 with XP SP3. It booted but won't
>activate (Dell OEM version of XP), but I can access any of the files by
>attaching the vhd to a running vm.

I have cloned two laptops and one desktop using VMWARE Converter and
all went well including reactivation using the original activation
codes on the physical hardware. The laptops were HP/Compaq, though,
not DELL.

I have also tried the disk2vhd with the option box checked to modify
the hardware settings on the cloned disk to match VPC2007. Also worked
fine. It seems like this is a good way to do P2V for Microsoft
virtualization of desktop machines. But then I did not clone a laptop.

Note: There is a size limit of 127 Gb for VPC VHD disks so if the
original system is larger than that disk2vhd will fail! It actually
performs the conversion but the resulting VHD cannot be used in VPC
due to the size being too big.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: Nel on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:20:47 +0200, Nel <nelfrikandel(a)invalid.org>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to run a cloned HDD with all installed apps from an old
>XP system in a VPC environment under Vista.

Thanks all, it worked. The Restore option of the windows XP
installation CD did the trick. However the newly installed virtual
machine wants to be activated again. Does that mean I'm acting against
the EULA?

The original machine running ons the same license of windowsXP will be
disposed of as soon as I have the VM version of its former self
working properly...
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: activating guest OS