From: Steve Jain on
"Nel" wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:20:47 +0200, Nel <nelfrikandel(a)invalid.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I would like to run a cloned HDD with all installed apps from an old
> >XP system in a VPC environment under Vista.
>
> Thanks all, it worked. The Restore option of the windows XP
> installation CD did the trick. However the newly installed virtual
> machine wants to be activated again. Does that mean I'm acting against
> the EULA?
>
> The original machine running ons the same license of windowsXP will be
> disposed of as soon as I have the VM version of its former self
> working properly...
> .
Depends on the type of OS you have, if its OEM, then you're against the EULA
since the OEM license is strictly for the hardware that was included with the
Windows license.

Activation isn't surprising since you've essentially replace the
motherboard, sound card, NIC, video card, disk controllers, and possibly the
CPU, so Windows will want to reactivate.