From: Russ Valentine on
Creating a new profile is easy and is the only reliable way to get rid of
ghosts. The software you tried obviously failed. You could try a reg hack if
you want, but they rarely work in current Outlook versions and are far
riskier than creating a new profile.
Ghosts are created by migrating data incorrectly when you update an Outlook
version. Might be worth figuring out how you did this so you don't make the
same mistake again. This was end user error, not Outlook error.
--
Russ Valentine

From: nkee1229 on
I get the error message: "You already have a Microsoft Exchange Server set
up. Outlook only supports one Exchange Server account at a time." How do I
re-set up my original account, while preserving all of my settings?
From: Russ Valentine on
You would not get any such error message if you were doing what we told you.
Tell us what you are doing instead. You've provided no information. Exchange
Serve is not even in play here if you are using a PST file.

From: nkee1229 on
Right. Interesting info about the migrating of data, Russ. I appreciate your
expertise.

What I had been doing up to the point where I got these ghost .PSTs is:
File > Open > Outlook Data File... > (locate the PST) > click OK > drag and
drop itmes from that .PST to my master .PST, for the sole purpose of
consolidating all of my old items (email, calendar, contacts - each with its
own subfolders by date) - from multiple .PSTs - into one file.

As for my follow-up question, I neglected to mention that my concern
involves the default "Mailbox" where all of my mail, which is on an exchange
server, gets delivered to - NOT any .PST. To clarify, I now have two folders
in the navigation pane in Outlook: the Mailbox (default folder where my email
gets sent) and a .PST folder. I am concerned about preserving the settings of
the Mailbox b/c it sounds as if (according to the "You already have a
Microsoft Exchange Server set
up. Outlook only supports one Exchange Server account at a time." error
message I get) I have to delete my entire current profile before I can set
one up.

P.S. At no point did I claim this was an Outlook error. I know it was a user
error.
From: Russ Valentine on
Back up. If you are using Exchange Server, why is there even a PST file in
your profile? Why would you have a "master" PST and another that you've used
for transfer of data? You should have no PST files in your profile. You
should be able to close any that you do have.

--
> Right. Interesting info about the migrating of data, Russ. I appreciate
> your
> expertise.
>
> What I had been doing up to the point where I got these ghost .PSTs is:
> File > Open > Outlook Data File... > (locate the PST) > click OK > drag
> and
> drop itmes from that .PST to my master .PST, for the sole purpose of
> consolidating all of my old items (email, calendar, contacts - each with
> its
> own subfolders by date) - from multiple .PSTs - into one file.
>
> As for my follow-up question, I neglected to mention that my concern
> involves the default "Mailbox" where all of my mail, which is on an
> exchange
> server, gets delivered to - NOT any .PST. To clarify, I now have two
> folders
> in the navigation pane in Outlook: the Mailbox (default folder where my
> email
> gets sent) and a .PST folder. I am concerned about preserving the settings
> of
> the Mailbox b/c it sounds as if (according to the "You already have a
> Microsoft Exchange Server set
> up. Outlook only supports one Exchange Server account at a time." error
> message I get) I have to delete my entire current profile before I can set
> one up.
>
> P.S. At no point did I claim this was an Outlook error. I know it was a
> user
> error.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3