From: Rod Speed on
Swampfuckwit wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Swampfuckwit wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> So now you know, and you can stop posting your usual pig ignorant
>>> drivel. Or is that too much to ask?

>>> It's not too hard to work out if you've got a modicum of
>>> intelligence.
>>
>> Makes a hell of a lot more sense for the web site to do it, fuckwit.
>>
>>> Find out where migrant communities are concentrated, do a search for
>>> a government school in the area, you can even check the proximity if
>>> you feel the need.
>>
>> Makes a hell of a lot more sense for the web site to do it, fuckwit.
>>
>>> Anyway it seems that at least one school heavily infested with
>>> recent immigrants does OK for itself,
>>
>> It does indeed.
>>
>> http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.aspx?PageId=0&SDRSchoolID=VICG0071776301&DEEWRID=6262&CalendarYear=2009
>> is pretty dismal tho.

> That same school was third in Victoria for VCE scores not long ago
> and has an outstanding record.

Pity about their record on basic literacy and numeracy
and the crime levels of their 'students'

> From the 2007 Australia Day speech by Glyn Davis, Vice Cancellor of Melbourne University:

> "This small and unassuming College sits near Flemington in the
> Melbourne suburbs, under the leadership of Brett New for many years,
> and now with Michael O'Brien as the inspiring school principal. Over
> the gate is the school motto - 'Towards Equity and Excellence -Every Child Matters'.

It clearly doesnt with basic literacy and numeracy.

> The Debney Park catchment area includes large communities of Somali
> and Sudanese refugees. Many are very recent arrivals. Margaret
> Simons (2006) reports that 'in their home country most had been
> semi-nomadic peasants'. There are some 43 different nationalities
> among the school's 340 students. 'Some arrived without ever having
> held a pen or handled a book'. More than half live in public
> housing, and some children arrive at the school suffering
> post-traumatic shock. 'And yet', notes Simons, 'almost beyond belief'
> the school consistently sees about a quarter of its VCE students
> achieving ENTER scores above 80. In the most recent VCE round, more
> than 10 percent of Debney Park Secondary College students earned
> ENTER scores over 90.

Pity about basic literacy and numeracy.

> A 2005 Victorian Department of Education On Track survey of Debney
> Park graduates a year after completing school found that 96 percent
> had gone onto tertiary education or training. The remainder were in
> employment or apprenticeships. None was unemployed."

Not a single one, eh ? Dont believe it.

From: Rod Speed on
atom wrote:

>> http://www.myschool.edu.au/Main.aspx?PageId=0&SDRSchoolId=VICG0071025001&DEEWRId=7660&CalendarYear=2009

> Is there a way to download the entire data set?

Nope, they have deliberately not allowed that so the media cant do league tables.

Not clear how hard it would be to automate that, whether the site
checks if you are getting the data of most of the state's schools etc
and stops serving the data if you do. Wouldnt be that hard to test that.

> it seems to be necessary to be able to give the system the SchoolId and the DEEWRId,

Yes, but it wouldnt be that hard to get those off the site.

> even though I expect the latter should be sufficiently unique. with a
> little bit of tweaking I could then map the data using Quantum GIS

Shouldnt be that hard using the local schools page.

From: Swampfox on
Rod Speed wrote:

<Speed's lame insults snipped>

>> That same school was third in Victoria for VCE scores not long ago
>> and has an outstanding record.
>
> Pity about their record on basic literacy and numeracy
> and the crime levels of their 'students'
>
>> From the 2007 Australia Day speech by Glyn Davis, Vice Cancellor of
>> Melbourne University:
>
>> "This small and unassuming College sits near Flemington in the
>> Melbourne suburbs, under the leadership of Brett New for many years,
>> and now with Michael O'Brien as the inspiring school principal. Over
>> the gate is the school motto - 'Towards Equity and Excellence -Every
>> Child Matters'.
>
> It clearly doesnt with basic literacy and numeracy.
>
>> The Debney Park catchment area includes large communities of Somali
>> and Sudanese refugees. Many are very recent arrivals. Margaret
>> Simons (2006) reports that 'in their home country most had been
>> semi-nomadic peasants'. There are some 43 different nationalities
>> among the school's 340 students. 'Some arrived without ever having
>> held a pen or handled a book'. More than half live in public
>> housing, and some children arrive at the school suffering
>> post-traumatic shock. 'And yet', notes Simons, 'almost beyond belief'
>> the school consistently sees about a quarter of its VCE students
>> achieving ENTER scores above 80. In the most recent VCE round, more
>> than 10 percent of Debney Park Secondary College students earned
>> ENTER scores over 90.
>
> Pity about basic literacy and numeracy.

A lack of basic literacy and numeracy skills hasn't stopped you from posting
tripe on usenet for years.

>> A 2005 Victorian Department of Education On Track survey of Debney
>> Park graduates a year after completing school found that 96 percent
>> had gone onto tertiary education or training. The remainder were in
>> employment or apprenticeships. None was unemployed."
>
> Not a single one, eh ? Dont believe it.

Because as a pig ignorant bigot you don't want to believe it, suck it up pea
brain.