From: Harald Hanche-Olsen on
+ "Harold Fuchs" <me(a)privacy.net>:

> Thanks. As you may remember, I have an aversion to syncing with the
> cloud so ... :-(

I do think we remember. No need to remind us. ;-)
(FWIW, I share your aversion, but I am not quite as vocal about it.)

--
* Harald Hanche-Olsen <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
-- Bertrand Russell
From: Dan on
I'll just post a quick note about how my conversion to an Android
phone is going. I'm trying Android mostly because I have lousy ATT
service at home, so an iPhone would be problematic. And I don't love
Apple or iTunes. I do depend on Outlook (as a PIM, not email).

Anyway, I am using an HTC EVO from Sprint.

Outlook sync isn't very good. I am using CompanionLink. The phone
piece is called DejaOffice. Calendar sync is fair - they don't handle
alarms on old, repeating events yet. For tasks, I use Toodledo's
Android app instead of the one in Dejaoffice. It syncs with Toodledo
on the web, and a PC component syncs the web with Outlook . I find I
mainly use it to add tasks while away from my PC. Notes (Outlook's
unstructured text) works well using DejaOffice, as do Contacts.

I use SplashID for passwords, etc - sync'ed between PC and phone. Long-
time user.

The biggest thing I am missing is a replacement for Listpro - lists,
data management, etc. I actually assumed this would be EASY. But there
are lots of tasks lists, shopping lists - but nothing generalized -
particularly including PC sync. I am actually about to start using
SplashID to store this data - it's more generalized (I can assign my
own names to their fields, based on the data type, for example) than
anything else, and it has PC sync.

And, about sync - like the iphone, each product above has its own sync
process - nothing like Palm's conduits. Which effects the user (me),
but probably also effects developers - it makes it much harder to
develop an end to end product.

Oh - and i still need to find a good backup product - Google doesn't
offer one. The toughest thing is finding in-depth reviews for products
- the Android Market has ratings, and brief comments - but EVERYTHING
has people who love it and people who hate it. There are some reviews
online, but there are so many small products that don't get reviewed.

One more thing - everyone wants their software for free. "$9 is SO
EXPENSIVE." Heck, 99 cents is too much for some people!

It makes me appreciate how mature and robust the Palm environment was.
I used it for YEARS. I cannot remember - did they have conduits from
the beginning, and was it open to other developers? Seems like it was
always there - never thought I would miss Hotsync!

Dan
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Dan:
>I use SplashID for passwords, etc - sync'ed between PC and phone. Long-
>time user.

Same here. Can anybody explain why SplashID hangs for 2-3
seconds after opening before it asks for a password.

>It makes me appreciate how mature and robust the Palm environment was.
>I used it for YEARS. I cannot remember - did they have conduits from
>the beginning, and was it open to other developers? Seems like it was
>always there - never thought I would miss Hotsync!

DateBk6..... If only.....
--
PeteCresswell
From: kronhead on
Pete - re: hanging - what platform are you talking about - PC, Palm,
Android, ???

I don't think I have a problem with it hanging (on any platform I have
used) BEFORE prompting for a password. It has started hanging on my
PC, AFTER I enter the password, since I added about 300 records -
going from 350 to 650. It also could be because I added and deleted
400 records about a dozen times before I got my data to import the way
I wanted it.

And it turns out SplashID isn't working that well for me as a data
tool on Android becuase the list view is too limited - only field 1 is
visible, no sorting, etc. So I may have to wait for HanDBase/Android.

Dan

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per kronhead:
>Pete - re: hanging - what platform are you talking about - PC, Palm,
>Android, ???

iTouch.
--
PeteCresswell