From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"Hillbilly" <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in

> From a business perspective it's indicative of how Google puts it
> right out there iteratively and has mastered the appearance of not
> making everybody wait around with their head stuck up their @ss
> waiting for a yearly announcement from an old fat bald man.

Let's compare apples to apples. Google announced an OS and has not just
"put it out there". It is still vapor ware. At least some of MS's stuff
is out in beta. So, you can play the "my dad is bigger than yours" game
from both directions.

If you compare apples to apples, you also see a lot of new features in a
variety of MS web initiatives. The cloud stuff is finally cemented and
gaining better adoption than many other cloud initiatives.

I am not fully disagreeing with you, as I think MS has quite a few
problems of its own, but I would focus on true weak points rather than
comparing unlike substances.

> AFIC Google just signed the death warrant for IE Accellerators and is
> now positioned to reinforce their dominion of the page enabling the
> use of Web Services to implement what we call PIP when talking about
> the analog which has been implemented on TV.

It may get rid of some accelerators, but I routinely use "map in
Google" as my map accelerator and "twitter search" is not going to
change that.

I really think Google is a good search engine (although Bing is growing
on me in some types of searches). I love Google maps (have an
accelerator to map in Google maps, as mentioned ;->). And I am pretty
fond of Google earth.

Conversely, I think Chrome is a dog. I doubt I would have a Android
phone. And, the new Windows search is good enough I am not going to
download Google desktop.

Sounds like a pretty mixed bag when you look at it objectively.

> And what do you say to somebody when you need SharePoint functionality
> that Google is now beginning to provide free but Microsoft still
> apparently wants a $30,000 down payment to get started?

There is a lot of functionality you CAN get for free with SharePoint
Services. MOSS is just easier for Enterprises and Google is not giving
away Enterprise level stuff. So, what you are getting into is a holy war
comparing unlike products.

> Its evidence of something all right. And I have customers asking these
> questions I do not know how to answer.

This is the crux of your issue, but the solution is asking questions
rather than coming across like a rabid dog. The best return is not
always towards the initial free hit from the crack dealer.

You can't win everyone. What I sell on is ROI and if I calculate open
source saves a company money, I use it. I don't always go the MS route,
if there are better options. In Nashville, MS wins more than not,
although I use open source .NET bits. And if someone does not like my
ROI calculations and wants free, I often get a call back to fix things
when the "cheaper" route fails for them. And when they succeed, I am
happy for them. Plenty of work to go around.

My business is not hurting from Google adding free bits (in fact, I
would say I am having one of the best years of my career). And, I
sometimes use Google bits in the web apps I build (although you do have
to take in account Google maps are not free once you reach a certain
level).

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |
From: Hillbilly on
The whole thing is Google and now Apple have been doing a much better job of
getting the attention of the customers who hire people like you and me. But
I'm glad you're having a good year :-) up North here is not.

From: Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP on
I don't see the same thing in my universe - financial space. The push is to
avoid opensource and go with the big guys - IBM/Microsoft. The selling point
is: 1. Total Cost of Ownership. 2. When the phone rings are 3am.

In my world, an executive could maybe let 1 slide. 2 is simply not an option
even if it costs major bucks.

--
Vapordan
Shameless Author Plug

From: Gregory A. Beamer on
"Hillbilly" <nobody(a)nowhere.com> wrote in

> The whole thing is Google and now Apple have been doing a much better
> job of getting the attention of the customers who hire people like you
> and me. But I'm glad you're having a good year :-) up North here is
> not.

I disagree, but you might have found that to be true where you are. I
know a friend in Michigan that is having a very hard go and considering
a move back to Nashville.

There is still a lot of full time work in Nashville, although the full
time rates are down ($90 - $95k for senior rather than the $100k+ from a
year or two ago).

There is also a lot of contract work. The bulk is in the $45-50/hr, but
there is still some work higher than that. If you 1099, you will
generally get even more.

All of the work I am seeing is .NET Framework, except perhaps a few
bits.

Selling yourself is always harder, and you end up with more
perserverence than with other routes. But i still have some good paying
gigs in the hopper, if I can just break free from what I am doing at
this moment.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)