From: Han on
"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in

> On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:00:34 -0600, Han wrote:
>
>> But I still get an error after I start Eudora anew and get messages.
>
> "Get" doesn't sound like SMTP :)

Sorry for my deficient English <grin>. Eudora displays an error message
after a long time when she first checks Google mail.

>> Only the first time, if I keep Eudora running
>> all mail checks after the first have no problem.
>
> Are you using SSL?

I believe that is the only way for Google?

> The first SSL connection may go into 100% CPU utilization,
> causing a delay, during which an imptient server disconnects;
> subsequent actions using SSL are more normal, and succeed.

That is then what is happening. Thanks for clarifying. So why is SSL so
slow the first time with Eudora, but not really with my browsers? Is
there a "fix" other than waiting for a real Eudora 8/Odysseus?

--
Best regards
Han
From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 05:46:13 -0600, Han wrote:

[talking about receiving mail, not sending]

> So why is SSL so slow the first time with Eudora,
> but not really with my browsers?

I don't know; highly security-conscious folks
(such as wax eloquent in "sci.crypt")
are always concerned that
the initial seed for generating "random session keys"
should be really well randomized,
or else data isn't really "128 bits' strongly protected,"
but it shouldn't take that long to ensure this.

Maybe it was something to allow the developer
to always go for a quick coffee break during testing,
which (s)he forgot to remove afterwards,
before "sending to production" :)

Lest one think that big goofs aren't so likely,
the little final-version cure for the very rare
(and not too terrible) sending of duplicate "Message-ID"
when a "send again" is invoked
ended up sending no message-ID, ever
(although it's still dutifully stored locally,
if you do "save as text" on any "sent" message).

Most (but not all) SMTP servers make up for this, however,
by supplying their own Message-ID whenever the MUA (client)
doesn't feel like generating its own.

> Is there a "fix" other than waiting for a real Eudora 8/Odysseus?

Is there a "fix" to the goings on of the past eight years,
other than waiting until after the next election,
just to see what the next team will dish out to the world? ;-)

From: Han on

> Is there a "fix" to the goings on of the past eight years,
> other than waiting until after the next election,
> just to see what the next team will dish out to the world? ;-)

That is called legislation, or, if nothing else works, impeachment. It
worked about 35 years ago, IIRC. Now we have a slave legislature on the
federal level, enslaved to reelection and greed.
But I'm getting old, and my wife worries about that <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han