From: Teodor Carstea on
unknown wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Teodor Carstea
> <teodorcarstea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I use Ubuntu
>
> Google: "ruby graphics":
> http://www.greaterbostonrubyandrails.com/RubyGraphics.html

THANKS!

From: Seebs on
On 2009-12-02, Teodor Carstea <teodorcarstea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, this is the way I do it in C++:

Uh.

> #include <graphics.h>

This header is not part of standard C++. It's a library provided
by your compiler.

> void main(){

This is wrong too. main() returns int. If your compiler isn't giving
you a warning for that, you should probably set it to be more
aggressive.

> initgraph(&gdriver, &gmode, "C:\\Progra~1\\BORLANDC\\BGI");

You should be using forward slashes (they work fine on Windows in file
names) and full names, not the weird DOS-style names, in all probability.

> getch();

This function exists only in a non-standard library you haven't referred
to, and shouldn't be getting used here anyway. If you need to make a program
wait for a user to hit a key before exiting, you have done something
else fundamentally wrong.

> P.S.: If you have an idea, please describe it in a way you would talk to
> a noob, for I'm really green. Plus, I use Ubuntu, no comment.

I would recommend that you look into one of the existing graphics libraries
provided by the environment. You'll note that the program described above
doesn't work on your Ubuntu system.

There's a bunch of graphics libraries out there. It matters a fair bit what
you want, but some people have suggested gosu:

http://code.google.com/p/gosu/

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Seebs on
On 2009-12-02, Teodor Carstea <teodorcarstea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> and.... I'm not gonna buy ANY books.

Why not?

> "The best friend for you is yourself" (Louis Armstrong)

He'd be a better friend if he bought you some books to help you learn
faster.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2009-12-02, Teodor Carstea <teodorcarstea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> and.... I'm not gonna buy ANY books.
>
> Why not?

Well, to be fair...I usually have a similar attitude. Between the rapid
change velocity of things like Rails and all the free info out there, I
don't usually need the books.

But with that choice come certain consequences, such as lack of
handholding. I have chosen to accept those consequences. People who
don't want to accept those consequences should not make that choice.

>> "The best friend for you is yourself" (Louis Armstrong)
>
> He'd be a better friend if he bought you some books to help you learn
> faster.
>
> -s

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Ken Bloom on
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:49:57 +0900, Teodor Carstea wrote:

>>C++ doesn't have a way to "initialize graphics mode"
>
> Well, this is the way I do it in C++:
>
> #include <graphics.h>
> void main(){
> //initializing graphics mode
> int gdriver=DETECT, gmode, errorcode;
> initgraph(&gdriver, &gmode, "C:\\Progra~1\\BORLANDC\\BGI"); errorcode
> = graphresult();
> if(errorcode!=grOk) {
> cout<<"Graphics error!!!\n"
> <<"Press any key...";
> getch();
> exit(1);
> }
> //...
> //AND HERE IS DA MAIN PROGRAM CODE.
> //...
> }
>
> I'd like to make my ruby prog like this. Any Ideas? P.S.: If you have an
> idea, please describe it in a way you would talk to a noob, for I'm
> really green. Plus, I use Ubuntu, no comment.
>
> Thanks!

Wow! That's a blast from the past! I'm guessing it's either Borland C++
for DOS (where screens actually did have "graphics mode" versus "text
mode"[1]) or their library for Windows which simulated the old DOS
library by opening up a window and drawing in that window. (I programmed
for this emulation library 10 years ago as part of an AP computer science
assignment.)

I'm guessing that you're moving from your knowledge of old DOS/Windows
and C++, you're moving to Linux and now you want to learn a nice shiny
new language for programming in Linux, so you chose Ruby.

If you're planning on writing GUI applications, you should either look at
Ruby/GTK+ or QTRuby, both of which are good frameworks providing all of
the standard widgets that you find in word processors, web browsers, and
the like.
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby

If you want full screen graphics (or full-screen graphics in a window),
which is often useful for game programming, you should look at Ruby/SDL.

http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubysdl.en.html

Ultimately you should take the time to learn a little of both.

[1] FWIW, Linux has this too, but you only think about it that way if
you're writing an X server or programming in svgalib. For the most part
that view of the world is obsolete by about 20 years.

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/