From: Teodor Carstea on
Hi all! I'm a beginner.

I need to include graphics mode in my program, I dunno how. I can do it
in C++, but I can't in Ruby.
Example: a ball falls down. Da program calculates it's coordinates and
it works. But I wanna see it. For now I can see just an array of (x,y)
values. Help me to make a graphic view using theese coordinates. In C++
I know I need just to initialize graphics mode. But I'm really green how
to do it in Ruby.

Help!

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Teodor Carstea wrote:
> Hi all! I'm a beginner.
>
> I need to include graphics mode in my program, I dunno how. I can do it
> in C++, but I can't in Ruby.
> Example: a ball falls down. Da program calculates it's coordinates and
> it works. But I wanna see it. For now I can see just an array of (x,y)
> values. Help me to make a graphic view using theese coordinates. In C++
> I know I need just to initialize graphics mode.

C++ has nothing like that -- there is no such thing as "graphics mode".
Perhaps you're using a particular graphics library?

> But I'm really green how
> to do it in Ruby.
>

> Help!

Same way as in C++: find a graphics library you like, learn to use it.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Paul Smith on
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Teodor Carstea <teodorcarstea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all! I'm a beginner.
>
> I need to include graphics mode in my program, I dunno how. I can do it
> in C++, but I can't in Ruby.
> Example: a ball falls down. Da program calculates it's coordinates and
> it works. But I wanna see it. For now I can see just an array of (x,y)
> values. Help me to make a graphic view using theese coordinates. In C++
> I know I need just to initialize graphics mode. But I'm really green how
> to do it in Ruby.

Initialize graphics mode?

C++ doesn't have a way to "initialize graphics mode", but some
library, provided by the system or a 3rd party will do so.

Unsurprisingly, you need a library to do the same in Ruby.

What library are you using when you do this in C++?

You could use a similar library in Ruby - Rubygame? Ruby/SDL?

> Help!

Paul Smith
http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk

paul(a)pollyandpaul.co.uk

From: Teodor Carstea on
>C++ doesn't have a way to "initialize graphics mode"

Well, this is the way I do it in C++:

#include <graphics.h>
void main(){
//initializing graphics mode
int gdriver=DETECT, gmode, errorcode;
initgraph(&gdriver, &gmode, "C:\\Progra~1\\BORLANDC\\BGI");
errorcode = graphresult();
if(errorcode!=grOk) {
cout<<"Graphics error!!!\n"
<<"Press any key...";
getch();
exit(1);
}
//...
//AND HERE IS DA MAIN PROGRAM CODE.
//...
}

I'd like to make my ruby prog like this. Any Ideas?
P.S.: If you have an idea, please describe it in a way you would talk to
a noob, for I'm really green. Plus, I use Ubuntu, no comment.

Thanks!

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Teodor Carstea wrote:
>>C++ doesn't have a way to "initialize graphics mode"
>
> Well, this is the way I do it in C++:
>
> #include <graphics.h>

Where did you get this header? What does it contain? I don't think
this is standard in C++.

But we're getting off topic.

> void main(){
> //initializing graphics mode
> int gdriver=DETECT, gmode, errorcode;
> initgraph(&gdriver, &gmode, "C:\\Progra~1\\BORLANDC\\BGI");
> errorcode = graphresult();
> if(errorcode!=grOk) {
> cout<<"Graphics error!!!\n"
> <<"Press any key...";
> getch();
> exit(1);
> }
> //...
> //AND HERE IS DA MAIN PROGRAM CODE.
> //...
> }
>
> I'd like to make my ruby prog like this. Any Ideas?

Yes. Please read my earlier posts.

> P.S.: If you have an idea, please describe it in a way you would talk to
> a noob, for I'm really green. Plus, I use Ubuntu, no comment.

What is that supposed to mean?

> Thanks!

Best,
--