From: Ken Bloom on
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 00:49:57 +0900, Teodor Carstea wrote:

>>C++ doesn't have a way to "initialize graphics mode"
>
> Well, this is the way I do it in C++:
>
> #include <graphics.h>
> void main(){
> //initializing graphics mode
> int gdriver=DETECT, gmode, errorcode;
> initgraph(&gdriver, &gmode, "C:\\Progra~1\\BORLANDC\\BGI"); errorcode
> = graphresult();
> if(errorcode!=grOk) {
> cout<<"Graphics error!!!\n"
> <<"Press any key...";
> getch();
> exit(1);
> }
> //...
> //AND HERE IS DA MAIN PROGRAM CODE.
> //...
> }
>
> I'd like to make my ruby prog like this. Any Ideas? P.S.: If you have an
> idea, please describe it in a way you would talk to a noob, for I'm
> really green. Plus, I use Ubuntu, no comment.
>
> Thanks!

What a blast from the past!

It ain't Ruby, but you might be interested in the BOSS library
( http://www.codedread.com/code.php#BOSS )
which implements a bunch of the old Borland C++ libraries on top of the
modern SDL graphics library, if you plan to keep coding in C++.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Ken Bloom wrote:
[...]
> If you're planning on writing GUI applications, you should either look
> at
> Ruby/GTK+ or QTRuby, both of which are good frameworks providing all of
> the standard widgets that you find in word processors, web browsers, and
> the like.
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby
[...]

There have been several recent threads in this forum on GUI development
in Ruby, and I'd recommend reading them. I'm using JRuby and Monkeybars
for my one non-Rails project.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Walton Hoops on

Heh same here actually... 10 years ago API Compsci ;-)

From: Martin DeMello on
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:

>>        getch();
>
> This function exists only in a non-standard library you haven't referred
> to, and shouldn't be getting used here anyway.  If you need to make a program
> wait for a user to hit a key before exiting, you have done something
> else fundamentally wrong.

Ah, nostalgia :) I think it was from Borland's conio, a very
well-designed library indeed. I missed it when I first moved to linux.

martin

From: Matthew K. Williams on
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Walton Hoops wrote:

> [...]

Eeek! I feel old. I did AP CompSci back 21 years ago. It was in Pascal
then......

Matt