From: Albertito on
On Nov 28, 6:19 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)mchsi.com> wrote:
> General Relativity is a theory invented by Albert Einstein which describes
> gravitational forces in terms of the curvature in space caused by the
> presence of mass. The fundamental principle of general relativity asserts
> that accelerated reference frames and reference frames in gravitation
> fields are equivalent. General relativity states that clocks run slower in
> strong gravitational fields (or highly accelerated frames), predicting a
> gravitational redshift. It also predicts the existence of gravitational
> lensing, gravitational waves, gravitomagnetism, the Lense-Thirring effect,
> and relativistic precession of orbiting bodies.
>
> Are There Any Good Books on Relativity Theory?
> http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/rel_booklist.html
>
> See: The General Relativity Tutorial
> http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/gr/gr.html

Amen!
A new acolyte trying to be promoted to minister!
From: "Juan R." González-Álvarez on
Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:19:55 +0000:

> General Relativity is a theory invented by Albert Einstein

General Relativity is the result of the work of a number of authors. Main
authors were Einstein, Grossman, and Hilbert.

Attributing GR to Einstein alone is, of course, historically inacurate.

--
http://www.canonicalscience.org/
From: "Juan R." González-Álvarez on
"Juan R." González-Álvarez wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:38:16 +0100:

> Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:19:55 +0000:
>
>> General Relativity is a theory invented by Albert Einstein
>
> General Relativity is the result of the work of a number of authors.
> Main authors were Einstein, Grossman, and Hilbert.

Grossmann

From: "Juan R." González-Álvarez on
Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:56:08 +0000:

> Juan R. González-Álvarez wrote:
>> Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:19:55 +0000:
>>
>>> General Relativity is a theory invented by Albert Einstein
>>
>> General Relativity is the result of the work of a number of authors.
>> Main authors were Einstein, Grossman[n], and Hilbert.
>>
>> Attributing GR to Einstein alone is, of course, historically inacurate.
>>

> There are many who are not comfortable with non-intuitive aspects of
> modern physics, such as the quantum mechanics and relativity.

There are many who are not comfortable with non-intuitive aspects of
modern research, such as corrections to quantum mechanics and corrections
to relativity.

> What is important is that the resulting physical theories are very
> fruitful. Take relativity, for example. Are you aware that there has
> never been a prediction of relativity that was contradicted by an
> observation?

First the OP was not about relativity (SR + GR + RQFT) but only about
General Relativity.

Second General Relativity is neither a final theory of gravity nor
explain all observed data.

And *new* theories can explain *both* the *old* results explained by
relativity and the *new* results cannot be explained by relativity.

--
http://www.canonicalscience.org/
From: Albertito on
On Nov 28, 6:56 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)mchsi.com> wrote:
> Juan R. González-Álvarez wrote:
> > Sam Wormley wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:19:55 +0000:
>
> >> General Relativity is a theory invented by Albert Einstein
>
> > General Relativity is the result of the work of a number of authors. Main
> > authors were Einstein, Grossman[n], and Hilbert.
>
> > Attributing GR to Einstein alone is, of course, historically inacurate.
>
> There are many who are not comfortable with non-intuitive aspects
> of modern physics, such as the quantum mechanics and relativity.
>
> What is important is that the resulting physical theories are very
> fruitful. Take relativity, for example. Are you aware that there has
> never been a prediction of relativity that was contradicted by an
> observation?

Yes, I'm aware of that. For example, gravitional waves
are prediction of relativity. Since, gravitational waves
will never be observed, its non-observation never will
contradict relativity!