Prev: WordMerge
Next: Tetris
From: ted on
Best advise is to google NTLDR is missing. Take a look at these

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto-fix-ntldr-is-missing.html

Ted

From: chuck on

Sometimes now it starts to boot from the HD, then displays
the black screen with lots of text that lets me:
go to SAFE mode (with variations) or Start Windows Normally
in NN seconds. Seconds count down to 0 then pc reboots thru
bios and back to the Start Windows Normally in 25 seconds
screen.

Still will not boot to XP though.
From: chuck on
chuck wrote:

> Sometimes now it starts to boot from the HD, then displays
> the black screen with lots of text that lets me:
> go to SAFE mode (with variations) or Start Windows Normally
> in 25 seconds.

If I select SAFE Mode, I get a whole scroll of lines that
begin with "MULTI (0) DISK ...", then it reboots to that
same screen. Never actually boots into an XP logo screen.
If I just let it run it will just continue to recycle thru
that same XP boot-select screen.

Doesn't that qualify this as an XP prob???

chuck

From: Anna on

"chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone(a)verizonNOSPAMk.net> wrote in message
> My mighty backup PC, Asus MB 2.66 Pent 4 running XP Pro
> has died. All of a sudden, as in overnight, it will not
> boot from a HD.
>
> Will boot from floppy and from CD just fine.
>
> Try boot from HD and I get NTLDR not found, I get
> Boot Image not found, or it just recycles to try to
> reboot (unsuccessfully). Never actually boots.
>
> I have flashed bios, replaced the IDE cable, tried
> different HDs.
>
> btw - all HDs boot successfully in a different pc.
>
> What might this be? A bad HD controller on the MoBo??
>
> thanks
>
> chuck

chuck:
Just to ensure we completely understand the problem you're experiencing...

When *any* of the five HDDs are installed in the "problem" PC none of them
are bootable and the "NTLDR not found" message appears every time during the
boot, right?. Yet you know at least four of those HDDs are non-defective
since they boot & function properly when installed in other systems. And you
tried the four HDDs on a one-by-one basis in the problem PC, right?

Needless to say you're certain you've correctly connected/jumpered each HDD
accordingly.

Again - the "NTLDR..." message *always* appears regardless of which HDD is
installed and booted to?

Re the "original" HDD...

Have you tried running a Repair install of the XP OS on that machine? Think
it might be worthwhile at this point to do so on the chance that the issue
involves a corrupted OS and the problem involving the other four HDDs not
booting on your "backup PC" stems from the fact they've been involved
(installed) in other systems?

Frankly, while it's of course conceivable, it doesn't sound (at least at
this point) that this is a hardware-related problem based on your
description of the problem. It might very well be so but I think I would
first try a Repair install of the OS. I assume you're familiar with the
process.
Anna

From: Paul on
chuck wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> If your hard drive manufacturer provides a diagnostic
>> for hard drive testing, boot that test software and
>> test the hard drive. For example, Seatools for DOS is
>> available to test my Seagate drives, from the Seagate
>> site. I have a floppy with that software on it.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Thanks Paul, but I have 4 (countem four) hard drives that
> all boot from a different pc, just not this one. But this
> one boots fine from a floppy or CD. ?? Gonna look
> for a hardware NG.

Since you say you can boot from a floppy, you can boot
for example, the Seatools for DOS floppy. The test program
will attempt to "find" your hard drive, and in the process,
may tell you whether the IDE controller is defective or not.

Another simple test to try, is enter the BIOS, and look at
the screen which identifies drives. The BIOS accesses the
drive at least once, and extracts a text string with the
name of the drive. if the name of the drive is mis-spelled,
or the characters are control characters or otherwise distorted,
that tells you a data bus bit on the IDE cable is bad.

Paul
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: WordMerge