Prev: WordMerge
Next: Tetris
From: chuck on
My mighty backup PC, Asus MB 2.66 Pent 4 running XP Pro
has died. All of a sudden, as in overnight, it will not
boot from a HD.

Will boot from floppy and from CD just fine.

Try boot from HD and I get NTLDR not found, I get
Boot Image not found, or it just recycles to try to
reboot (unsuccessfully). Never actually boots.

I have flashed bios, replaced the IDE cable, tried
different HDs.

btw - all HDs boot successfully in a different pc.

What might this be? A bad HD controller on the MoBo??

thanks

chuck
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone(a)verizonNOSPAMk.net> wrote in message
> My mighty backup PC, Asus MB 2.66 Pent 4 running XP Pro
> has died. All of a sudden, as in overnight, it will not
> boot from a HD.
>
> Will boot from floppy and from CD just fine.
>
> Try boot from HD and I get NTLDR not found, I get
> Boot Image not found, or it just recycles to try to
> reboot (unsuccessfully). Never actually boots.
>
> I have flashed bios, replaced the IDE cable, tried
> different HDs.
>
> btw - all HDs boot successfully in a different pc.
>
> What might this be? A bad HD controller on the MoBo??
>
> thanks
>
> chuck

How does your question relate to Windows? I would ask the experts in a
hardware newsgroup.

From: Paul on
chuck wrote:
> My mighty backup PC, Asus MB 2.66 Pent 4 running XP Pro
> has died. All of a sudden, as in overnight, it will not
> boot from a HD.
>
> Will boot from floppy and from CD just fine.
>
> Try boot from HD and I get NTLDR not found, I get
> Boot Image not found, or it just recycles to try to
> reboot (unsuccessfully). Never actually boots.
>
> I have flashed bios, replaced the IDE cable, tried
> different HDs.
>
> btw - all HDs boot successfully in a different pc.
>
> What might this be? A bad HD controller on the MoBo??
>
> thanks
>
> chuck

If your hard drive manufacturer provides a diagnostic
for hard drive testing, boot that test software and
test the hard drive. For example, Seatools for DOS is
available to test my Seagate drives, from the Seagate
site. I have a floppy with that software on it.

Paul
From: chuck on
Paul wrote:
If your hard drive manufacturer provides a diagnostic
> for hard drive testing, boot that test software and
> test the hard drive. For example, Seatools for DOS is
> available to test my Seagate drives, from the Seagate
> site. I have a floppy with that software on it.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul, but I have 4 (countem four) hard drives that
all boot from a different pc, just not this one. But this
one boots fine from a floppy or CD. ?? Gonna look
for a hardware NG.
From: Claire on
and you are MVP???
Of course it relates to Windows.
If you can boot from other devices and get that NTLDR message when booting
from hd it indicates that your Windows boot is corrupted.
Just reinstall your Windows and you will be fine, but all your data may be
lost depending on it's location.
Claire [not MVP]

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "chuck" <cciafNOSPAMfone(a)verizonNOSPAMk.net> wrote in message
>> My mighty backup PC, Asus MB 2.66 Pent 4 running XP Pro
>> has died. All of a sudden, as in overnight, it will not
>> boot from a HD.
>>
>> Will boot from floppy and from CD just fine.
>>
>> Try boot from HD and I get NTLDR not found, I get
>> Boot Image not found, or it just recycles to try to
>> reboot (unsuccessfully). Never actually boots.
>>
>> I have flashed bios, replaced the IDE cable, tried
>> different HDs.
>>
>> btw - all HDs boot successfully in a different pc.
>>
>> What might this be? A bad HD controller on the MoBo??
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> chuck
>
> How does your question relate to Windows? I would ask the experts in a
> hardware newsgroup.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: WordMerge