Prev: WordMerge
Next: Tetris
From: chuck on
Thanks for the response Anna.

There have been developments.

When I have the HD connected now and boot up, I get
the black screen with white letters that lets me
either Restart Windows Normally in 25 seconds,
or start in any of 3 varieties of SAFE more.

If I select SAFE Mode, I get a whole scroll of lines that
begin with "MULTI (0) DISK ...", then it reboots to that
same screen. Never actually boots into an XP logo screen.
If I just let it run it will just continue to recycle thru
that same XP boot-select screen.

If I choose Restart Windows Normally in 25 seconds,
the seconds count down to 0 then pc reboots thru
bios and back to the Start Windows Normally in 25 seconds
screen.

Still will not boot to XP though.
From: HeyBub on
chuck wrote:
> Claire wrote:
>> and you are MVP???
>> Of course it relates to Windows.
>> If you can boot from other devices and get that NTLDR message when
>> booting from hd it indicates that your Windows boot is corrupted.
>> Just reinstall your Windows and you will be fine, but all your data
>> may be lost depending on it's location.
>
> Hey Claire, but as I said, all 4 HDs boot fine on a different
> pc. Just not on this pc. I have swapped cables, flashed bios,
> etc, to no avail. I do not believe this is a HD problem as they
> work so well in other pcs.

If they work in other PCs, the problem is not Windows related.

From: Twayne on
In news:OuMpMrv7KHA.720(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Claire <replyto(a)fra> typed:
> and you are MVP???
> Of course it relates to Windows.

But a hardware group cross-post might have been a good idea; it could be a
hardware problem.

> If you can boot from other devices and get that NTLDR
> message when booting from hd it indicates that your Windows
> boot is corrupted.

Yup; that's what he said happens, on ONE machine, but not on others. Look
again, boots OK in another machine.

> Just reinstall your Windows and you will be fine, but all
> your data may be lost depending on it's location.

Waste of time since it boots up in another machine, which is "interesting",
I'd admit, but maybe they're identical machines & the registry isn't
completely hosed.

Personally, I think going to the hardware group and more information being
needed are the most effective things to follow up on. DID that drive
actually boot perfectly in another case or not? Then you know better which
routes to follow.

HTH,

Twayne`
Claire [not MVP]

From: Twayne on
In news:uZF7Ewv7KHA.2248(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
chuck <cciafNOSPAMfone(a)verizonNOSPAMk.net> typed:
> Claire wrote:
>> and you are MVP???
>> Of course it relates to Windows.
>> If you can boot from other devices and get that NTLDR
>> message when booting from hd it indicates that your
>> Windows boot is corrupted. Just reinstall your Windows and you will be
>> fine, but all
>> your data may be lost depending on it's location.
>
> Hey Claire, but as I said, all 4 HDs boot fine on a
> different pc. Just not on this pc. I have swapped cables,
> flashed bios, etc, to no avail. I do not believe this is a
> HD problem as they work so well in other pcs.

You mean they boot and are 100% operational and without error messages?
That's very unusual. At any rate, if that's really the case, I'd say a
rebuild of the hard drive is in order. If that fails, then it's going to be
hardware somehow. SMART is usually fairly good but that message you got
I've never seen.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Twayne on

> In future when you post something useful for us please
> remove entire message posted by an MVP because some of us
> are allergic to those three letter initials to signify
> Microsoft Valuable Pig.

So, what kind of pig are YOU, L? Not all MVPs are "bad", just most of the
ones that used to inhabit this group.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: WordMerge