From: Goldrake on
SBS2003 R2 + WSS3 (installed syde by side).

I installed the kb981043 hotfix and now the site is down.

In log there is a lot of this messages (sorry for bad translation from
Italian):

06/10/2010 17:18:17.10 w3wp.exe (0x1164) 0x0DA8
Windows SharePoint Services Topology 6800 Critical
Database WSS_Content_c3a83a4f16244dda8e19e7dfb0a3e2f5 in
DCSERVER\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible because loosing sign for internal
windows database

Please could help me ? The server is in a production enviroment.

Thank you

From: kyla.ensor on
Standard stuff... Check the transaction log... make sure it isn't
full. Make sure there's enough space on the sql server drives, check
db permissions... make sure you can do a simple db connection from the
front end box... etc. I doubt it's permissions-based if it WAS
working. Once I did a patch and the log filled... that's why I suggest
checking that...

Did the patch install successfully?

I looked here --> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joerg_sinemus/archive/2010/04/28/wss-and-moss-april-2010-cu.aspx
and saw you need to rerun the config tool again... when you ran the
tool did you get any errors?

If you didn't run the config tool per the below... that's probably the
issue.

"...........After applying the preceding updates, run the SharePoint
Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard or “psconfig –cmd
upgrade –inplace b2b -wait” in command line. This needs to be done on
every server in the farm with SharePoint installed........"

If you did all this... then I'm stumped!
From: Goldrake on
Hi Kyla and thank you for the answer.

I opened a request support directly to MS. We spent all day with a MS
technician without results.

Now I'm too tired to write down all things that I did, maybe tonight after a
fresh shower .... :-)

But, at this point, I want to change the approach: i don't want spend more
time trying to recover the on-line sharepoint that is not working.

I made a farm backup four days ago and I'm thinking to uninstall WSS3 SP2
and reinstall again.
Then, my idea is to recover that backup.

Before do this, I need to know if this could be a nice idea or I will
encounter some other issues.

Thank you for helping me...

Best regards from a little "frustrated" IT admin

From: Goldrake on
One question:

Having the content db mdf file, is there a way to recover the file into it ?
Is there some tool or other stuff that could make this job in a simple way ?

Thank you

From: Benjamin Athawes on
Goldrake,

If you haven't already, I suggest you have a read through "Deploy software
updates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0" at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288269(office.12).aspx. One of
those steps is to re-run the configuration wizard as kyla suggests.

It sounds as though you have a SQL backup of the SharePoint content
database(s) which is a good start in recovering your site(s). I'm not certain
what you are asking, but adding a content database to a Web application can
be performed from SharePoint Central Administration > Application Management
> Content Databases.

Note that SharePoint may need to be updated to ensure it is the same version
as your content DB backup.