From: Mark Adams on

"Steve" wrote:

> Hi again...
>
> Ran chkdsk/f thru with NO errors... checked BIOS and it only has 3-5 user
> settings... none are "drive related". Pretty simple BIOS
> Steve

Have you checked the Compaq website for updated drivers? This sounds like it
could be driver related if the machine works in Safe Mode when drivers aren't
loaded.

From: SteveK50 on
Hey Peter...

Finally figured it out... one of the latest Windows Updates did "something"
and it caused some sort of grief with the SERVICE named "Windows
Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)". Now that I've disabled that
service... system boots up just fine... however... I've lost the Windows
Firewall capability!?!!!

I really don't understand why a common/necessary "Firewall Service" update
is now screwing up my machine... especially when I can kill EXPLORER.EXE;
restart it and system boots up just fine from there!???? And that's WITH
the "Firewall Service" running??

Steve

From: Peter Taylor on
On 8/5/2010 1:02 AM, SteveK50 wrote:
> Hey Peter...
>
> Finally figured it out... one of the latest Windows Updates did "something"
> and it caused some sort of grief with the SERVICE named "Windows
> Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)". Now that I've disabled that
> service... system boots up just fine... however... I've lost the Windows
> Firewall capability!?!!!
>
> I really don't understand why a common/necessary "Firewall Service" update
> is now screwing up my machine... especially when I can kill EXPLORER.EXE;
> restart it and system boots up just fine from there!???? And that's WITH
> the "Firewall Service" running??
>
> Steve

Just a shot in the dark but do you have another firewall installed that
perhaps came with an anti virus suite?

--
Peter Taylor
From: SteveK50 on
Morning...

Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP built-in
Firewall turned OFF. Since running into this problem last week; I have
since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO (on
second)... NO AV at all.

Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
25-30 updates and then it hung. So I figure Windows Firewall was turned ON
right after SP2 and I didn't change that. Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which I
put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook to
read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
APPS AT ALL.

I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out and
see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.

It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).

Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do... are
VERY WELCOME.

Steve

From: Peter Taylor on
On 8/5/2010 2:39 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
> Morning...
>
> Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP built-in
> Firewall turned OFF. Since running into this problem last week; I have
> since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO (on
> second)... NO AV at all.
>
> Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
> downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
> 25-30 updates and then it hung. So I figure Windows Firewall was turned ON
> right after SP2 and I didn't change that. Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which I
> put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook to
> read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
> APPS AT ALL.
>
> I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out and
> see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.
>
> It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
> up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).
>
> Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
> Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do... are
> VERY WELCOME.
>
> Steve

After you installed SP3, did you reboot twice? Did you install the chip
set drivers, video drivers, USB drivers and audio drivers and were the
latest ones or the ones on a CD?

--
Peter Taylor