From: SteveK50 on
Hi Peter...

Not sure what you mean...

1. XP Home w/SP1... came from Compaq QuickRestore CDs... so all drivers
came directly from manufacturer's CDs
2. XP Pro w/SP2... was an actual Microsoft CD... but only Compaq drivers I
loaded were... video, WLAN, TouchPad and HP-special key drivers... hotkeys
to IE, mail, mute sound, etc.

In BOTH cases... installed OS, then (XP Pro) loaded extra drivers and THEN
"forced" updates (with Windows Update App)... SP3 came down BUT I only
rebooted ONCE (??) and all was still ok. It was the next Update Set where
things went to hell-in-a-handbasket... I'd guess about 30-40 downloads in
that "single" download.

Oh yeah... I did go back (2-3 days ago) and RE-INSTALLED the ATI video
driver... I think I was looking for the "update driver" part (of Device
Manager) and saw the Compaq version number was changed to "Windows Update"
(or Windows Download)... so I did reinstall THAT one.

Steve

From: Peter Taylor on
On 8/5/2010 9:08 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
> Hi Peter...
>
> Not sure what you mean...
>
> 1. XP Home w/SP1... came from Compaq QuickRestore CDs... so all drivers
> came directly from manufacturer's CDs
> 2. XP Pro w/SP2... was an actual Microsoft CD... but only Compaq drivers I
> loaded were... video, WLAN, TouchPad and HP-special key drivers... hotkeys
> to IE, mail, mute sound, etc.
>
> In BOTH cases... installed OS, then (XP Pro) loaded extra drivers and THEN
> "forced" updates (with Windows Update App)... SP3 came down BUT I only
> rebooted ONCE (??) and all was still ok. It was the next Update Set where
> things went to hell-in-a-handbasket... I'd guess about 30-40 downloads in
> that "single" download.
>
> Oh yeah... I did go back (2-3 days ago) and RE-INSTALLED the ATI video
> driver... I think I was looking for the "update driver" part (of Device
> Manager) and saw the Compaq version number was changed to "Windows Update"
> (or Windows Download)... so I did reinstall THAT one.
>
> Steve
>

> "Peter Taylor"<noemailspam(a)please.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 8/5/2010 2:39 PM, SteveK50 wrote:
>>> Morning...
>>>
>>> Nope... I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows XP
>>> built-in
>>> Firewall turned OFF. Since running into this problem last week; I have
>>> since reformatted my hard-drives and using XP Home (on one) and XP PRO
>>> (on
>>> second)... NO AV at all.
>>>
>>> Both reinstalls were "virgin"... Home started with SP1; Pro with SP2...
>>> downloaded Windows Updates until the update "after SP3"... I figure maybe
>>> 25-30 updates and then it hung. So I figure Windows Firewall was turned
>>> ON
>>> right after SP2 and I didn't change that. Oh yeah... BOTH drives (which
>>> put in and take out of my laptop) have Office XP installed (for Outlook
>>> read mail)... using Outlook Express (to read this group)... and NO OTHER
>>> APPS AT ALL.
>>>
>>> I've no idea how to figure out the "last 25-30 updates"... to back out
>>> and
>>> see which caused this... that's a new task for me to start on.
>>>
>>> It's just frustrating when "standard Microsoft install/download" messes
>>> up... and I've no idea where to go (at this time).
>>>
>>> Appreciate all your comments so far... hopefully you'll keep them coming.
>>> Another set of eyes... especially from those who know more than I do...
>>> are
>>> VERY WELCOME.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> After you installed SP3, did you reboot twice? Did you install the chip
>> set drivers, video drivers, USB drivers and audio drivers and were the
>> latest ones or the ones on a CD?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Taylor

Try it again and reboot twice after installing SP3. MS says rebooting
twice is a requirement for a good install which may be the reason the
subsequent updates went to hell. I personally use the SP3 CD and it's
the first thing I install after Windows loads for the first time. Check
at the video card manufacturer's web site for video drivers. Video
drivers have surely been updated since that Compaq CD was made.

You can download the .iso file to make an SP3 CD from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2FCDE6CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en

--
Peter Taylor