From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:30:59 -0500, Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:

> and files from. My original disk is VolGroup00 as an lvm disk and Fedora

man vgrename. May need to edit /etc/fstab before rebooting, if
it's still using /dev/mapper/??? entries, instead of labels or
uuids.

> will install to the new disk as VolGroup00 thus making it impossible for me

I haven't used the fedora installer. I expect a little digging
would show that you can override the volume group name.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Dan C on
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:38:35 -0600, Ohmster wrote:

> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:bfa3981f-5d53-47e8-
> 8bb8-45fbc8e58d73(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Oh, dear gods. That explains it. I wish you'd mentioned using oddball
>> repositories earlier.
>>
>> Cleaning up that kind of mess would take me a day, with good bandwidth,
>> and I'd bill you for it if you needed it that badly. But you should be
>> able to add the new disk, set it up with a live CD, set up LVM on the
>> new disk with a different Volume and Group name, or use Fedora disks to
>> *manually* configure disks and set them up appropriately.
>
> Nico,
>
> Hah! I did not see your offer in the begriming of this paragraph. Thank
> you for the offer, that would be pretty neat, you clean it up remotely
> with my cable connection and I pay for the service, but, to me, Linux is
> about the learning. l love it because I learn new things. I just copied
> the lvm man page to a text file so that I can read it more easily with a
> list of all of the major lvm tools that I will be able to use. I also
> found the FAQ at TLDP, LVM HOWTO, and found some good reasons to use lvm
> in Chapter 2. What is Logical Volume Management?, Section 2.2. Benefits
> of Logical Volume Management on a Small System actually makes good sense
> and I will use this as a tool for my next install so that I know what
> the heck I am doing this time and can name and create the volumes as
> necessary, label them appropriately, and size them accordingly. I
> especially like that you can move the space around if you need to or
> even add another disk to the file system and it just blends right into
> the file system as a whole and can then be doled out where it is needed
> most, in more than one area if need be. This sure beats the old method
> of splicing in a new drive under "\home" like I used to do.
>
> Maybe lvm is not so bad, once you get to understand it and use it
> properly. Oh and thanks for the cleanup offer. That was very generous as
> a task like that might tale forever, even though you do know what you
> are doing.

What exactly is it that you do, that requires management of huge disk
space? Why would you need LVM, or to "splice in a new drive" on a normal
home system?

Seriously, what are you saving? How much volume are you doing, anyway?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
From: Dan C on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:08:16 -0600, Ohmster wrote:

> "J.O. Aho" <user(a)example.net> wrote in news:7qj012Fqa7U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> IMHO ext3 suxx, just ext2 with journal added.
>>
>> --
>>
>> //Aho
>
> I thought that the journal addition was a good thing. What do you like
> Aho?

It is a good thing. EXT3 is the right choice.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.