From: karthikbalaguru on
Hi,
I need Windows for certain applications
and Linux for certain other applications.
But, the computer currently has only
Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it.
I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed
on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via
USB stick !! :-)

I am following the below steps for
Windows XP from USB stick -
http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html
(Windows XP is booted from USB Stick)

But,
I understand that by the above method
we can have the Windows XP booted
up from the USB Stick and Windows
XP will be using entire RAM :-(

But, i would like to have Linux also !
Is it possible to have Linux and Windows
simulataneously so that i can switch
between Linux & Windows ?

Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Henning on

"karthikbalaguru" <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi,
> I need Windows for certain applications
> and Linux for certain other applications.
> But, the computer currently has only
> Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it.
> I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed
> on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via
> USB stick !! :-)
>
> I am following the below steps for
> Windows XP from USB stick -
> http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html
> (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick)
>
> But,
> I understand that by the above method
> we can have the Windows XP booted
> up from the USB Stick and Windows
> XP will be using entire RAM :-(
>
> But, i would like to have Linux also !
> Is it possible to have Linux and Windows
> simulataneously so that i can switch
> between Linux & Windows ?
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thx in advans,
> Karthik Balaguru

Install Xp in VirtualBox?

/Henning

From: Shenan Stanley on
karthikbalaguru wrote:
> Hi,
> I need Windows for certain applications
> and Linux for certain other applications.
> But, the computer currently has only
> Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it.
> I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed
> on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via
> USB stick !! :-)
>
> I am following the below steps for
> Windows XP from USB stick -
> http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html
> (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick)
>
> But,
> I understand that by the above method
> we can have the Windows XP booted
> up from the USB Stick and Windows
> XP will be using entire RAM :-(
>
> But, i would like to have Linux also !
> Is it possible to have Linux and Windows
> simulataneously so that i can switch
> between Linux & Windows ?
>
> Any ideas ?

Use a virtual machine instead. VirtualBox is free.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Shenan Stanley on

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> So is Vmware. Pretty much rock solid for me here. used daily.

Clarification: VMware Player and VMware Server are free. VMware Workstation
will cost you.

Either work fantastically. Either is better than dual-booting/booting from
USB/booting from CD or DVD/using something like WINE, IMHO.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Shenan Stanley on

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Clarification: VMware Player and VMware Server are free. VMware
> Workstation will cost you.
>
> Either work fantastically. Either is better than
> dual-booting/booting from USB/booting from CD or DVD/using
> something like WINE, IMHO.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Fantastic? No. screen and cursors is a tad slow, and networking is a
> fair bit slower than a native windows.
>
> But its good enough for what I do. CAD work mainly.

Well - on my quad core processor system with 8GB memory and 64-bit base OS -
it works great with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 virtual
machines... Guess it is all relative.

If the screen and cursors are slow? Sounds like a driver issue (guest
additions for virtualbox and vmware tools for vmware usually help those
things) or lack of actual physical resources (memory/processor.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP