From: Kevin John Panzke on
TRY DUAL BOOTING BETWEEN WINDOWS XP AND UBUNTU 9.10 USING WUBI.EXE!

From: Dave Nadler on
On Jan 4, 5:19 pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> karthikbalaguru wrote:
> > I need Windows for certain applications
> > and Linux for certain other applications.
> > But, the computer currently has only
> > Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it.
> > I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed
> > on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via
> > USB stick !! :-)
>
> > I am following the below steps for
> > Windows XP from USB stick -
> >http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html
> > (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick)
>
> > But,
> > I understand that by the above method
> > we can have the Windows XP booted
> > up from the USB Stick and Windows
> > XP will be using entire RAM :-(
>
> > But, i would like to have Linux also !
> > Is it possible to have Linux and Windows
> > simulataneously so that i can switch
> > between Linux & Windows ?
>
> > Any ideas ?
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Use a virtual machine instead.  VirtualBox is free.
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> > So is Vmware. Pretty much rock solid for me here. used daily.
>
> Clarification: VMware Player and VMware Server are free.  VMware Workstation
> will cost you.
>
> Either work fantastically.  Either is better than dual-booting/booting from
> USB/booting from CD or DVD/using something like WINE, IMHO.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>      MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Can any of you guys recommend a utility to snapshot an existing XP
machine into a VM image, where the utility is run on the existing XP
machine ?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave
From: Shenan Stanley on
Dave Nadler wrote:
> Can any of you guys recommend a utility to snapshot an existing XP
> machine into a VM image, where the utility is run on the existing XP
> machine ?

VMware has a converter (p2v, etc) that does a good job.
http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/get.html

You can also utilize your favorite imaging utility to do it (I've used
several in the past to make a drive image and apply it to a virtual machine
drive.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Shenan Stanley on
David W. Hodgins wrote:
> I doubt that can be done, as a full copy of the drive is required. You
> cannot make a useful copy of the drive while it's being updated
> by the running xp system.
>
> If you provide more info on what you are trying to accomplish, and
> what hardware you have available, perhaps another solution can be
> found.

VMware converter can do it and if you have the right setup - remotely. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Dave Nadler on
On Jan 5, 3:56 pm, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:18:07 -0500, Dave Nadler <d...(a)nadler.com> wrote:
> > Can any of you guys recommend a utility to snapshot an existing XP
> > machine into a VM image, where the utility is run on the existing XP
> > machine ?
>
> I doubt that can be done, as a full copy of the drive is required.  You
> cannot make a useful copy of the drive while it's being updated by the
> running xp system.
>
> If you provide more info on what you are trying to accomplish, and what
> hardware you have available, perhaps another solution can be found.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> --
> Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
> (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
> use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

There are a number of utilities that can do this.
I was hoping for recommendations. I have Acronis
(which can do this) but it wants a license for each
machine. Other utilities don't seem to be reliable...
I'm going to try

Best Regards, Dave

a license for each machine