From: Folderol on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:39:32 +0100
Martin <me(a)address.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:50:22 +0000, Tony van der Hoff
> <tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>
> >chris wrote:

> >> My thought exactly.

> >> A quick punt to trading standards could give a quick and cheap idea.
> >
> >IANAL, but I don't see why it shouldn't be legal. The goods were
> >purchased as a package. Provided they're prepared to give a full refund
> >on the package, they've met their obligations.
>
> If they offered a refund on Windows, then they can't change that part of the
> conditions.
>
> If everybody was to ask for a full refund, then ...

The issue is further complicated by the fact that they are not selling
you a single product. They are selling hardware and *inviting* you to
accept a *license* on the software. If the computer could not work
without that precise software they might just scrape through with a
case, but this is not the situation.

Also, they have no authority to change the terms of Microsoft's
license, which clearly states that if you do not accept the terms you
should return it to the vendor for refund. Nowhere in their terms is
there a linkage to any hardware, so how are HP authorised to make such
a link?

I can't think of any comparable product where you buy one part but rent
the other. An added point in the buyers favour is that if HP will not
supply the hardware without the software they are effectively employing
a restrictive trade practice. This is rather a hot topic these days,
and I think you were to put it to them that way, they'd want to quietly
come to an arrangement in your 'special' case.

--
Will J G
From: Mark Hobley on
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
> Hmmm. I wonder if that is in fact legal.

This is product tying, which is considered to be an anti-competitive
practice within the European Union. I don't know how you go about filing a
complaint against them though.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Big and Blue on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> Hmmm. I wonder if that is in fact legal.
>
> This is product tying, which is considered to be an anti-competitive
> practice within the European Union. I don't know how you go about filing a
> complaint against them though.

What about starting with the local trading standards office?

either you or I have to believe it.
From: Mark Hobley on
Big and Blue <No_4(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> What about starting with the local trading standards office?

I would definitely follow that up. People often require a Hewlett
Packard based machine, but not a Microsoft Windows based operating system.

Hewlett Packard really needs to fall into line here.

Mark.