From: Theo Markettos on
I want to build a bridge between wifi/ethernet and 3G mobile broadband
(using a USB dongle) using an old PC. Can anyone recommend a
router-oriented distro that:

Runs on x86
Supports mobile broadband
Acts as a wireless router (including WPA - I have a Prism2.5 card)
Is likely to run on a Pentium 75 with 16MB RAM (this one isn't critical)
Doesn't need too much fiddling to do the above

Obviously I could use Debian or similar, but I'd rather not have to set
everything up from scratch. Suggestions?

Thanks
Theo
From: Jonathan McDowell on
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I want to build a bridge between wifi/ethernet and 3G mobile broadband
> (using a USB dongle) using an old PC. Can anyone recommend a
> router-oriented distro that:

> Runs on x86
> Supports mobile broadband
> Acts as a wireless router (including WPA - I have a Prism2.5 card)
> Is likely to run on a Pentium 75 with 16MB RAM (this one isn't critical)
> Doesn't need too much fiddling to do the above

> Obviously I could use Debian or similar, but I'd rather not have to set
> everything up from scratch. Suggestions?

OpenWRT? They have an x86 build though I've never actually tried it.
Pretty much what you're looking for otherwise.

J.

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <-aF*EqkWs(a)news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>I want to build a bridge between wifi/ethernet and 3G mobile broadband
>(using a USB dongle) using an old PC. Can anyone recommend a
>router-oriented distro that:
>
>Runs on x86
>Supports mobile broadband
>Acts as a wireless router (including WPA - I have a Prism2.5 card)
>Is likely to run on a Pentium 75 with 16MB RAM (this one isn't critical)
>Doesn't need too much fiddling to do the above
>
>Obviously I could use Debian or similar, but I'd rather not have to set
>everything up from scratch. Suggestions?

Probably not what you want to hear, but these days, unless I needed
something that I could only get via Linux, I'd be looking for hardware
to do the job for me - e.g. Draytek 2820n ...

Expensive if you've already got spare hardware though, however do make
sure the Wi-Fi hardware you have/get is capable of running in access-point
mode. Not all are AIUI.

Gordon
From: Dave Liquorice on
On 17 Nov 2009 12:00:59 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos wrote:

> I want to build a bridge between wifi/ethernet and 3G mobile broadband
> (using a USB dongle) using an old PC. Can anyone recommend a
> router-oriented distro that:

Doesn't a Huawei D100 what you want? Still listed on the 3 site:

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Ways_to_get_broadband

But finding a store with stock might be tricky, seem to be about on
eBay.

--
Cheers
Dave.

From: Martin Liddle on
In message <nyyfbegfubjuvyypbz.kt9t6v0.pminews(a)srv1.howhill.co.uk>, Dave
Liquorice <allsortsnotthisbit(a)howhill.com> writes
>On 17 Nov 2009 12:00:59 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos wrote:
>
>> I want to build a bridge between wifi/ethernet and 3G mobile broadband
>> (using a USB dongle) using an old PC. Can anyone recommend a
>> router-oriented distro that:
>
>Doesn't a Huawei D100 what you want? Still listed on the 3 site:
>
>http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Ways_to_get_broadband
>
>But finding a store with stock might be tricky, seem to be about on
>eBay.

Solwise also have several products to do this
<http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers.htm>
--
Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 3 Kentmere Way,
Staveley, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 3TW.