From: Theo Markettos on
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:
> Probably not what you want to hear, but these days, unless I needed
> something that I could only get via Linux, I'd be looking for hardware
> to do the job for me - e.g. Draytek 2820n ...

True. But I have all the hardware to do it in my junk box. And my HSDPA
dongle has a reputation of being a little testy... not something you can fix
with a take-it-or-leave-it commercial product.

(Well, I just spent 1.75 on a sieve to act as a reflector to boost the
3G signal strength)

> Expensive if you've already got spare hardware though, however do make
> sure the Wi-Fi hardware you have/get is capable of running in access-point
> mode. Not all are AIUI.

I have some Netgear 802.11b cards which were originally bought in 2003 for
just this purpose :) The Prism chipset is quite good at being an AP.

Theo
From: Theo Markettos on
Jonathan McDowell <noodles-news(a)earth.li> wrote:
> OpenWRT? They have an x86 build though I've never actually tried it.
> Pretty much what you're looking for otherwise.

That looks like it might be feasible. Had a bit of a wrestle with it on
qemu (Networking didn't come up, but you can only configure it via a web
interface. And it's so minimal (6MB) that basic tools like lspci are
missing). Eventually got it working by manually configuring IPs - looks
like it has some useful packages, but remains to be seen whether 3G will
work.

Thanks...
Theo
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Theo Markettos
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> That looks like it might be feasible. Had a bit of a wrestle with it on
> qemu (Networking didn't come up, but you can only configure it via a web
> interface.

Every version I've ever used has had SSH or telnet on by default. Oh, I see what
you mean. I should have thought the x86 port would enable the serial console, as
all the other ports do.

> And it's so minimal (6MB) that basic tools like lspci are missing).

'{i,o}pkg install pciutils' [depending on version] should soon fix this for you.

http://josefsson.org/openwrt/dongle.html may be of interest.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
19:26:55 up 31 days, 23:21, 4 users, load average: 0.34, 0.18, 0.17

From: Theo Markettos on
alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Theo Markettos
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
> > That looks like it might be feasible. Had a bit of a wrestle with it on
> > qemu (Networking didn't come up, but you can only configure it via a web
> > interface.
>
> Every version I've ever used has had SSH or telnet on by default. Oh, I see what
> you mean. I should have thought the x86 port would enable the serial console, as
> all the other ports do.

I got a VGA console fine in qemu, but I couldn't do anything because most of
the usual tools were missing. The first problem was that the network
interface isn't the usual eth0 (which was unconfigured) but a bridge device
br-lan. The next problem was that qemu's virtual LAN is 10.0.2.x but
openwrt set up its own LAN on 192.168.x.x, which wasn't reachable from qemu.
And openwrt's DHCP client didn't work, for reasons I don't understand. I
managed to configure the LAN IP by hand to be 10.0.2.15 (the first address
qemu would hand out by DHCP - other 10.0.2.x didn't work) and get enough IP
up to get my browser in and configure the rest.

> > And it's so minimal (6MB) that basic tools like lspci are missing).
>
> '{i,o}pkg install pciutils' [depending on version] should soon fix this for you.

If there's any network access to download them :(

> > Eventually got it working by manually configuring IPs - looks like it has some
> > useful packages, but remains to be seen whether 3G will work.
>
> http://josefsson.org/openwrt/dongle.html may be of interest.

I saw that, will have a play sometime.

Theo