From: Tony van der Hoff on
Ivor Jones wrote:
> On 21/11/09 02:08, Mark Hobley wrote:
>> Big and Blue<No_4(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>>> What about starting with the local trading standards office?
>>
>> I would definitely follow that up. People often require a Hewlett
>> Packard based machine, but not a Microsoft Windows based operating
>> system.
>>
>> Hewlett Packard really needs to fall into line here.
>
> I've been doing some thinking on this one. I bought an Acer Aspire 1
> netbook just about a year ago with Linux on it (ok a pretty cut-down
> version of Linpus/Fedora) but immediately ripped it off and put the full
> Fedora installation on it.
>
> Now when I go into the very same shop (John Lewis) *all* the laptops
> (with the exception of Macs) have Windows. I mentioned it to one of the
> sales staff and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that people want
> Windows.
>
> Well they might well do, but is it right to *force* them to have it..?
> If you want a desktop PC you can build your own and get a blank drive
> and put whatever you want on it, but if you want a laptop you're
> snookered unless you want Windows (or a Mac) or are prepared to pay for
> a Windows licence you aren't going to use.
>
> I wonder if anyone *has* brought this up with Trading Standards, as
> mentioned..?
>
> Ivor

Nobody is *forcing* anyone to buy anything they don't want to. You don't
*have* to buy anything from John Lewis.

Much as we might dislike the situation, there is nothing in it contrary
to trading standards regulations, and the OFT is fully occupied pursuing
real swindlers.

However, you *can* buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed, if you so
choose. http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/ is where I got
mine.
From: Owain on
On 26 Dec, 21:52, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> However, you *can* buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed, if you so
> choose.

Only a very limited range from a very limited number of sellers.

> http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/is where I got
> mine.

For a Asus K50IJ-6 they're charging £539 for a 2GHz 3GB model. Amazon
have a similar 2GHz 4GB model at £449 with Vista Home Premium. (as
well as some more expensive ones, but the point is there's a much
wider range to choose from.)

Owain

From: Tony van der Hoff on
Owain wrote:
> On 26 Dec, 21:52, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> However, you *can* buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed, if you so
>> choose.
>
> Only a very limited range from a very limited number of sellers.
>
>> http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/is where I got
>> mine.
>
> For a Asus K50IJ-6 they're charging �539 for a 2GHz 3GB model. Amazon
> have a similar 2GHz 4GB model at �449 with Vista Home Premium. (as
> well as some more expensive ones, but the point is there's a much
> wider range to choose from.)
>
> Owain

Sure. But the point being discussed, as opposed to your new one, is
there's nothing illegal about it. We don't like it, but until the mass
market's there, manufacturers aren't going to bother.

I used Linux emporium some years ago, and given yuor information above,
wouldn't do so now.

Buy your laptop from Amazon, or whoever, partition off the disk, and
install Linux. You're getting it cheaper, and you can accept Windows
thrown in at that price.

Say I'd quite like a Ford with a Ferrari engine. I'll ask the dealer.
Nope, he won't play. There's a surprise.
From: Denis McMahon on
Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> However, you *can* buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed, if you so
> choose. http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/ is where I got
> mine.

Novatech supply no-os laptops.

Didn't have any issues with the one I set up Ubuntu on (granted was
about 5 years old)

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Phil Stovell on
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 05:22:33 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

> Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
>> However, you *can* buy a laptop with Linux pre-installed, if you so
>> choose. http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/ is where I got
>> mine.
>
> Novatech supply no-os laptops.
>
> Didn't have any issues with the one I set up Ubuntu on (granted was about
> 5 years old)

I'm running a Novatech desktop and laptop with Ubuntu. Desktop worked out
of the box, the laptop I had to mess around a bit to get the SiS 2D
drivers installed, but there's fairly straightforward instructions on the
Ubuntu forum.

> Rgds
>
> Denis McMahon

 |  Next  |  Last