From: Joe Horn on
Is there some reason that calculator are not made with "electronic
ink" (AKA e-paper) displays, such as "book readers" use? Their
display contrast is FANTASTIC. And they are fast enough for
everything but games, right?

-Joe-
From: Jim Horn on
On Aug 8, 1:00 am, Joe Horn <joeh...(a)holyjoe.net> wrote:
> Is there some reason that calculator are not made with "electronic
> ink" (AKA e-paper) displays, such as "book readers" use?  Their
> display contrast is FANTASTIC.  And they are fast enough for
> everything but games, right?
>
> -Joe-

Wow, good question to ask next month, Joe! Maybe we'll know more in
seven weeks.
From: Joel Koltner on
"Joe Horn" <joehorn(a)holyjoe.net> wrote in message
> Is there some reason that calculator are not made with "electronic
> ink" (AKA e-paper) displays, such as "book readers" use?

Mmm.... because there hasn't been any significant new development of
calculator hardware -- at least from HP -- since well before eInk existed?

Not that TI is much better. See: http://xkcd.com/768/ :-)

I don't really blame TI or HP, though -- there's not much else they can do to
improve the raw hardware capabilities of the calculators without very likely
getting themselves banned from classrooms, and these days that's where the
vast bulk of calculator sales are.

---Joel

From: Carlos Marangon on
On 9 ago, 20:38, "Joel Koltner" <zapwireDASHgro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Joe Horn" <joeh...(a)holyjoe.net> wrote in message

> > Is there some reason that calculator are not made with "electronic
> > ink" (AKA e-paper) displays, such as "book readers" use?
>
> Mmm.... because there hasn't been any significant new development of
> calculator hardware -- at least from HP -- since well before eInk existed?
>
> Not that TI is much better.  See:http://xkcd.com/768/:-)
>
> I don't really blame TI or HP, though -- there's not much else they can do to
> improve the raw hardware capabilities of the calculators without very likely
> getting themselves banned from classrooms, and these days that's where the
> vast bulk of calculator sales are.
>
> ---Joel

I think that the problem of a color LCD is that it will not be visible
under sunlight!

So if one day it come to exist it will be needed also solve this
problem. Maybe using a flag to set it to color or B&W.
From: Carlos Marangon on
On 6 ago, 23:24, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
> > that I am waiting since 1994)?
>
> Nope. Color LCDs take too much power. Calculators survive because you
> can pull them out of a bag a week later, and they turn right on. There
> have been calculators with color LCDs in the past, and they are always
> discontinued and replaced with non-color versions.
>
> TW

New color LCDs, of organic led (OLED displays) that will be available
in few years will take less power.
It will be possible to have it in few years, I think!