From: Carlos Marangon on
HP50 for USD 130 in Paraguay.

Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
that I am waiting since 1994)?
From: TW on
> Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
> that I am waiting since 1994)?

Nope. Color LCDs take too much power. Calculators survive because you
can pull them out of a bag a week later, and they turn right on. There
have been calculators with color LCDs in the past, and they are always
discontinued and replaced with non-color versions.

TW
From: Daniel Oliva on
On 6 ago, 23:24, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
> > that I am waiting since 1994)?
>
> Nope. Color LCDs take too much power. Calculators survive because you
> can pull them out of a bag a week later, and they turn right on. There
> have been calculators with color LCDs in the past, and they are always
> discontinued and replaced with non-color versions.
>
> TW

I have a Casio CFX-9850G in working condition. It is a color display
calculator (very far from a modern smartphone display, but color in
the end).
It has acceptable battery life (several months with average use).
However when you do have a color LCD calculator, you realize it is not
of much use, it isn't "so much better".
Maybe slightly useful when plotting multiple functions, but nothing
dramatically necessary.
This Casio model has much worse display contrast than HP 50g.

Beware of electronic equipment sold in Paraguay...too many scammers
there :)
From: Dave Hayden on
On Aug 6, 10:24 pm, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
> > that I am waiting since 1994)?
>
> Nope. Color LCDs take too much power. Calculators survive because you
> can pull them out of a bag a week later, and they turn right on. There
> have been calculators with color LCDs in the past, and they are always
> discontinued and replaced with non-color versions.
>
> TW

If HP were to do an upgrade to their displays, I for one would be much
more interested in higher contrast than multiple colors.

Dave
From: Edwin on
On 7 ago, 08:58, Dave Hayden <d...(a)larou.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 10:24 pm, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
> > > that I am waiting since 1994)?
>
> > Nope. Color LCDs take too much power. Calculators survive because you
> > can pull them out of a bag a week later, and they turn right on. There
> > have been calculators with color LCDs in the past, and they are always
> > discontinued and replaced with non-color versions.
>
> > TW
>
> If HP were to do an upgrade to their displays, I for one would be much
> more interested in higher contrast than multiple colors.
>
> Dave

I think so.