From: Bruce Horrocks on
On 08/08/2010 09:00, Joe Horn wrote:
> Is there some reason that calculator are not made with "electronic
> ink" (AKA e-paper) displays, such as "book readers" use? Their
> display contrast is FANTASTIC. And they are fast enough for
> everything but games, right?

I thought the main reason was that although they require no power to
maintain a display, they need more than an LCD to clear and re-draw the
screen. This is fine for an e-book where the screen doesn't change much
while the user reads the page, but not so good for a calculator where
entering a number would require the screen to be redrawn to display each
new digit as it is entered. Also the 'wipe' effect of the screen redraw
would rapidly become quite annoying for a calculator, I would have thought.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey
From: A.L. on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:45:12 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Oliva
<jdoliva(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6 ago, 23:24, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Is it worthwhile, or is it best hope HP make an color LCD calc (one
>> > that I am waiting since 1994)?
>>
>> Nope. Color LCDs take too much power. Calculators survive because you
>> can pull them out of a bag a week later, and they turn right on. There
>> have been calculators with color LCDs in the past, and they are always
>> discontinued and replaced with non-color versions.
>>
>> TW
>
>I have a Casio CFX-9850G in working condition. It is a color display
>calculator (very far from a modern smartphone display, but color in
>the end).

I have Casio too. Unfortunately, colors arevery limited and really
ugly...

A.L.
From: Joe Horn on
Regarding color Casio displays, here's a side-by-side photo of an HP
50g and a Casio CFX-9800G:
http://holyjoe.net/images/cfx-9800g.jpg

You can see what's already been said: the colors are ugly and the
display contrast is even worse than the HP 50g.

-Joe-
From: elturco on
On Aug 11, 5:07 pm, Joe Horn <joeh...(a)holyjoe.net> wrote:
> Regarding color Casio displays, here's a side-by-side photo of an HP
> 50g and a Casio CFX-9800G:http://holyjoe.net/images/cfx-9800g.jpg
>
> You can see what's already been said: the colors are ugly and the
> display contrast is even worse than the HP 50g.
>
> -Joe-

I would prefer a backlight display (watch like) rather than a color
one.
If you work outdoor, no problem under sunlight, neither at night.

From: elturco on
On Aug 12, 11:05 pm, elturco <anuara...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 5:07 pm, Joe Horn <joeh...(a)holyjoe.net> wrote:
>
> > Regarding color Casio displays, here's a side-by-side photo of an HP
> > 50g and a Casio CFX-9800G:http://holyjoe.net/images/cfx-9800g.jpg
>
> > You can see what's already been said: the colors are ugly and the
> > display contrast is even worse than the HP 50g.
>
> > -Joe-
>
> I would prefer a backlight display (watch like) rather than a color
> one.
> If you work outdoor, no problem under sunlight, neither at night.

Stuff in paraguay is mostly "second selection" be very carefull and
check before buying.