From: Scotty on
On 26 Aug 2006 18:23:43 -0700, "JB" <wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a TI voyage 200 that I well satidfied with but I am curious
>about the HP50g. If I get an HP 50g, after using the TI v200
>extensively, will I likely be disappointed in the quality of the HP
>item or it's performance? Will the HP be similiar to use compared to
>the TI or will it be an all new learning curve. I find the
>construction quality and performance of the TI to both be flawless.
>Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems? Or
>major OS bugs? I have never used RPN, so is it necessary? What would
>be a simple RPN example? Do you think there is an advantage to having
>both calculators?

I switched to Voiyage 200 from my 48GX because I wanted a CAS (I
didn't know how to use the libs available for the 48GX--now I do).

There are some interesting programs available for the V200, and I'll
keep it around for that. For example, there's a great Calculus
package (Calculus Made Easy)--but it eats up every bit of RAM and I
can't have anything else on the calculator to run it--bummer.

The larger screen was my real motivation. Plus, the equation
writer--I didn't like the speed of the 48GX and the TI really shined
there. I didn't even realize that HP had other models (49G, 49G+,
etc.) until recently. I bought a 49G+ (late model with good keyboard)
and was blown away by the CAS and the speed. Most importantly, I got
my RPN back, plus a whole lot of functions that are sadly missing on
the TI.

As soon as the 50G came out with its serial port, I knew I finally had
a 48GX replacement and purchased one immediately. I've not been so
happy in a long time. I'm thrilled with this calc (50G). It's a
major powerhouse. 2,300+ functions, real variable names, real
directory structures, etc.

The V200 was a major PITA to type in equations. My fingers would have
to travel 2.32 light years to find the EE key. PI was cumbersome and
misplaced and I found myself going from the left side of the keyboard
to the right side continuously. After 10 hours of computing a day
(homework, etc.), it became quite tiresome as I had to reduce 5-6
linear equations by hand using the equation writer. After I got my
RPN back, my hands have never been happier.

I may be the only one at University with an HP calculator, but I'll
bet money that I'll be the one that achieves the solutions first <g>.

RIP Voyage 200. You've been replaced by something soooo much better!

Cheers,
Scott
From: JB on

Zeno wrote:
> In article <1156641823.419972.220970(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, JB
> <wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a TI voyage 200 that I well satidfied with but I am curious
> > about the HP50g. If I get an HP 50g, after using the TI v200
> > extensively, will I likely be disappointed in the quality of the HP
> > item or it's performance? Will the HP be similiar to use compared to
> > the TI or will it be an all new learning curve. I find the
> > construction quality and performance of the TI to both be flawless.
> > Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems? Or
> > major OS bugs? I have never used RPN, so is it necessary? What would
> > be a simple RPN example? Do you think there is an advantage to having
> > both calculators?
> >
> The HP cals are much more accurate when compuitng Trig functions.
>
> An example, is to computer the SIN of exactly 3.141592654 (NOT Pi, but
> the just given rounding of it) radians....the HPs get the correct
> answer to 12 significant digits, while all other brand do not even come
> close in accuracy.
>
> The correct answer is
> -4.10206761537 E-10
> which only HPs give.

What sort of application would require such accuracy ?

From: friend on
On 27 Aug 2006 09:00:29 -0700, "JB" <wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Zeno wrote:
>> In article <1156641823.419972.220970(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, JB
>> <wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I have a TI voyage 200 that I well satidfied with but I am curious
>> > about the HP50g. If I get an HP 50g, after using the TI v200
>> > extensively, will I likely be disappointed in the quality of the HP
>> > item or it's performance? Will the HP be similiar to use compared to
>> > the TI or will it be an all new learning curve. I find the
>> > construction quality and performance of the TI to both be flawless.
>> > Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems? Or
>> > major OS bugs? I have never used RPN, so is it necessary? What would
>> > be a simple RPN example? Do you think there is an advantage to having
>> > both calculators?
>> >
>> The HP cals are much more accurate when compuitng Trig functions.
>>
>> An example, is to computer the SIN of exactly 3.141592654 (NOT Pi, but
>> the just given rounding of it) radians....the HPs get the correct
>> answer to 12 significant digits, while all other brand do not even come
>> close in accuracy.
>>
>> The correct answer is
>> -4.10206761537 E-10
>> which only HPs give.
>
>What sort of application would require such accuracy ?

Amateur radio: Tracking satellites.

From: Paul Schlyter on
In article <08j3f2t3dm6nnm9lhmvp9dp8sjru6de145(a)4ax.com>,
friend <digital(a)forever.com> wrote:
>On 27 Aug 2006 09:00:29 -0700, "JB" <wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Zeno wrote:

>>> The HP cals are much more accurate when compuitng Trig functions.
>>>
>>> An example, is to computer the SIN of exactly 3.141592654 (NOT Pi, but
>>> the just given rounding of it) radians....the HPs get the correct
>>> answer to 12 significant digits, while all other brand do not even come
>>> close in accuracy.
>>>
>>> The correct answer is
>>> -4.10206761537 E-10
>>> which only HPs give.
>>
>>What sort of application would require such accuracy ?
>
>Amateur radio: Tracking satellites.

Do you really have to compute sines accurate to 1E-21 in amateur radio?

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
From: Chuck Rushton on

"friend" wrote

> "JB" wrote:
>>
>>What sort of application would require such accuracy ?

> Amateur radio: Tracking satellites.

As an end result perhaps the 12-digit SIN is of questionable value, but as
an intermediate result, sometimes even 12 digits are insufficient.

An example taken from an ECEF (earth-centered earth fixed) conversion
to/from XYZ coordinates and latitude/longitude/ellipsoid_ht
5GETLAM
%%COS
4GETLAM
%%CHS
%%SIN
%%*
Without the 15-digit capability of the 49g+/50g, these conversions are
unable to avoid the round-off error inherent even at 12 digits.

Other examples also associated with geodesy and GPS are ITRF<->NAD
conversions and Vincenty's Inverse and Forward calculations, to name a
couple.

Chuck Rushton
PLS-NC

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last