From: JB on
I have a TI voyage 200 that I well satidfied with but I am curious
about the HP50g. If I get an HP 50g, after using the TI v200
extensively, will I likely be disappointed in the quality of the HP
item or it's performance? Will the HP be similiar to use compared to
the TI or will it be an all new learning curve. I find the
construction quality and performance of the TI to both be flawless.
Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems? Or
major OS bugs? I have never used RPN, so is it necessary? What would
be a simple RPN example? Do you think there is an advantage to having
both calculators?

From: Gene on

JB wrote:
> Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems? Or
> major OS bugs? I have never used RPN, so is it necessary? What would
> be a simple RPN example? Do you think there is an advantage to having
> both calculators?

To see many examples, some in RPN and some in algebraic on the HP50g,
check out the learning modules on the HP50g website:

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/383688-0-0-225-121.html

The keyboard problems are fixed.

Some things are easier in RPN, but as the modules show, the calculator
works well enough in algebraic too.

From: Gene on

From: bokubob on
JB wrote:
> I have a TI voyage 200 that I well satidfied with but I am curious
> about the HP50g. If I get an HP 50g, after using the TI v200
> extensively, will I likely be disappointed in the quality of the HP
> item or it's performance?
No. I have a couple year old HP49G+ and I was very impressed with the
quality compared to the TI-89 that I had at the time (I sold the 89
soon after). I'm under the impression that the 50G is better yet.

As to performance there are two major differences that I've found from
my experience (with an 89, but I guess they're simmilar, right?)
1. The stack based system that the HP uses works much better for using
results from intermediate calculations than pressing the up button a
bunch of times to find results from previous calculations.
2. The TI can do some antiderivatives faster, but the HP usually gives
you more usable results (it usually doesn't introduce strange functions
where the TI would) and will be able to do antiderivatives that give
the TI some trouble.
3. Compared to the Voyage, you have more useful math functions
available in less keystrokes.

> Will the HP be similiar to use compared to
> the TI or will it be an all new learning curve.

You can use it similarly, by that I mean algebreic mode, but you won't
gain much by doing that. If you know what you're doing with the TI
(not just pressing the same buttons as the person next to you) then you
should have no problem with the HP. If your experience is like mine,
you'll be back to your TI level capabilities and efficientcy within a
day or two and keep getting better from there.

> I find the
> construction quality and performance of the TI to both be flawless.
> Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems?

No more keyboard problems on the 49g+, never any on the 50g.

> Or major OS bugs?

The firmware is very mature and is being improved constantly with
updates easily available.

> I have never used RPN, so is it necessary?

It isn't necessary, but why wouldn't you?

> What would
> be a simple RPN example?

Take the sine of 30 (asuming you're in degree mode):
type in 30 then press "sin" see that you're dispay now says 1/2

See, no extra keys (like closing parens) to press

> Do you think there is an advantage to having both calculators?

No. Sell the TI..... ok, realistically, you'll end up liking one
better than the other for some or all things. Eventually you'll
decide.

If this is your hobby, then you can't go wrong getting an HP. It's a
whole new world to explore.

If this is your work (or you're a student) the you owe it to yourself,
your hobbies and anything else competing for your time to try out any
solution that has a reasonable chance of saving you time and effort in
the long run. I'm glad I switched.

Good luck,

-Jonathan

From: Zeno on
In article <1156641823.419972.220970(a)b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, JB
<wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a TI voyage 200 that I well satidfied with but I am curious
> about the HP50g. If I get an HP 50g, after using the TI v200
> extensively, will I likely be disappointed in the quality of the HP
> item or it's performance? Will the HP be similiar to use compared to
> the TI or will it be an all new learning curve. I find the
> construction quality and performance of the TI to both be flawless.
> Will the HP be the same? How about the infamous keyboard problems? Or
> major OS bugs? I have never used RPN, so is it necessary? What would
> be a simple RPN example? Do you think there is an advantage to having
> both calculators?

The HP cals are much more accurate when compuitng Trig functions.

An example, is to computer the SIN of exactly 3.141592654 (NOT Pi, but
the just given rounding of it) radians....the HPs get the correct
answer to 12 significant digits, while all other brand do not even come
close in accuracy.

The correct answer is
-4.10206761537 E-10
which only HPs give.