From: JB on
I posted a message down a bit titled HP50g vs. Voyage 200 and I want
to thank the people that responded. I have just one more question. I
noticed a posting on this site where someone wanted to know if his
calculator came from a bad batch based on his serial number. Bad
batch? That sounds a bit scary as I have never heard of a bad batch
with my two TI calc's. So I guess the question is if I buy a 50g and
say a keyboard problem developes, what telephone number would I call at
HP for calculator customer service. TI has the toll free number
1-800-TI-CARES to resolve any calculator issues so I assume that HP has
a similiar number but I may be wrong. Again, I want to thank the kind
people that replied to my previous posting. Thank you. - JB

From: TW on
> batch? That sounds a bit scary as I have never heard of a bad batch
> with my two TI calc's.

Some here would argue that ALL batches of 49G+ calcualtors were bad.

Reality is that the earliest 49G+ calcualtors had terrible keyboards.
Quality kept getting better, but in the end there was a lot of
confusion about which calculators had imporved keyboards and which
didn't.

The 50G has a great keyboard and I don't think I've heard anyone
complaining about them. Ok, there are still people whining about not
having a large ENTER key, "it isn't like the 41", etc.

Nothing to worry about the 50G keyboard.

TW

From: JB on

TW wrote:
> > batch? That sounds a bit scary as I have never heard of a bad batch
> > with my two TI calc's.
>
> Some here would argue that ALL batches of 49G+ calcualtors were bad.
>
> Reality is that the earliest 49G+ calcualtors had terrible keyboards.
> Quality kept getting better, but in the end there was a lot of
> confusion about which calculators had imporved keyboards and which
> didn't.
>
> The 50G has a great keyboard and I don't think I've heard anyone
> complaining about them. Ok, there are still people whining about not
> having a large ENTER key, "it isn't like the 41", etc.
>
> Nothing to worry about the 50G keyboard.
>
> TW
Thanks TW but here is the situation:
If you buy an HP 50g and it's got a problem
then
you go to hp.com
then
click on support and trouble shooting
then
select hand held devices
then
select HP graphing calculators
then
you will be on the page that is titled HP Graphing Calculators where
you are prompted to select your calculator from a list of calculator
models but you notice that the HP 50g is not on the list!!!
I have found from personal experience that I can't count on HP to ship
quality products or provide accessible customer service, so it worries
me greatly when I can't find a phone number for hp50g problems. I
think I'll pass on buying a 50g and wait for the TI-inspire due out
after the first of the year and see what it provides.

From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
JB wrote:
> you will be on the page that is titled HP Graphing Calculators where
> you are prompted to select your calculator from a list of calculator
> models but you notice that the HP 50g is not on the list!!!
the hp50 has just been released.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis for what appears on a web site when the
calculator hasn't been out for a month yet
> think I'll pass on buying a 50g and wait for the TI-inspire due out
> after the first of the year and see what it provides.
And when is the N'spire supposed to be out?

From the various web site I gather it won't be available outside of a
few european countries

JY
From: Michael Kuyumcu on
Hi Jean-Yves,

I have already worked with prototypes of the N'spire. The battery life
time was about 3 to 4 hours when the calculator was running, rebooting
took about a full minute to load a custom-written OS for the calc. The
CAS was still very buggy (we found 5 serious problems within 15
minutes), while the dynamic graphics package is already working
smoothly though not elegantly. There is an extensive test review on
this N'spire prototype available at
http://www.noemanetz.de/folgeseiten/artikel/CIMS-SH_Fortbildung.html
but it's in German only.

The N'spire, according to a TI representative I met in person was
supposed to be out by August, but it's not. The latest new publishing
date is planned as "September", but my colleagues and I doubt that. TI
allegedly wants to change the batteries to lithium cells, which should
take a bit of readjustment. And you just can't trust the CAS at the
moment. One minute, it solves a system of linear equations with 2
unknowns, and the other moment it wouldn't. One minute, you can grab a
parabola and change it dynamically with the "mouse pointer" (there is
no mouse), the other it refuses to work. The solution of the TI
representative to this problem was spectactular: remove all 4 batteries
from the device, put them into another one, power that one up, and
suddenly it worked...

Regards,
Michael Kuyumcu

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> JB wrote:
> > you will be on the page that is titled HP Graphing Calculators where
> > you are prompted to select your calculator from a list of calculator
> > models but you notice that the HP 50g is not on the list!!!
> the hp50 has just been released.
> I wouldn't put too much emphasis for what appears on a web site when the
> calculator hasn't been out for a month yet
> > think I'll pass on buying a 50g and wait for the TI-inspire due out
> > after the first of the year and see what it provides.
> And when is the N'spire supposed to be out?
>
> From the various web site I gather it won't be available outside of a
> few european countries
>
> JY

 |  Next  |  Last