From: johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com on

JB wrote:
> how many calc's they must have shipped with with poor keyboards. I do
> see some enthusiasm on this site for the 50g though but I think it
> quite likely that most of those messages are coming from Hp marketing
> personel? Thanks for the question. I guess I got to long winded in
> answering it. - JB

Uh... yeah. We're all employees of HP Marketing just here to talk up
the new product with the 100 or so people that haunt this newsgroup.

Actually I'm fairly new here. Usually you will find me prowling around
comp.os.vms. I just found this group when I was hunting for a
replacement for my HP12c that I'd been using since 1984. The darn
thing just went nuts and I'd get random numbers and results when
pressing the keypad. I hope that doesn't start a rumor about faulty
HP12c keypads in the 1984 product! I don't really need anything as
high powered as the HP50g but I had been hankering for a scientific
calculator for a while and my 19c's ni-cd batteries are just not up to
snuff anymore.

I also have to confess that as of today (28-Aug-2006) I AM an HP
employee, though not with marketing and I have nothing to do with the
calculators. I am part of a group providing Oracle DBA services to a
large mid-western USA manufacturer.

Look around and read some more of the posts and try not to be so jaded
in life. It'll probably make things more enjoyable.

John H. Reinhardt

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:12:14 -0500, JB wrote:

> To reply to Michael Kuyumcu: I guess that is the difference between Ti
> and Hp. Ti fixes product problems BEFORE they release the product.

That is a nicer way of saying that at present,
they have a product too undeveloped to be released at all,
with major problems immediately apparent,
rather than emerging only over a longer time in the field.

Globalization has helped to create situations
where no one party can guarantee the entire end-to-end process
as well as when everything was done under a single roof,
within a single corporate culture, and even under
a single founder's watchful guidance on every product,
as once it was at HP.

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:44:35 -0500, John H. Reinhardt wrote:

> I don't really need anything as high powered as the HP50g
> but I had been hankering for a scientific calculator for a while
> and my 19c's ni-cd batteries are just not up to snuff anymore.

I've never seen its battery pack, but in every other pack I've seen,
the cells can be replaced (nowadays with NiMH).

How's the printer doing?

Maybe HP could copy those "eveready bunny" ads, e.g.
"my HP calculators just keep going, and going, and going..."
(and will probably outlive me, if I don't sell them off :)

Thanks for your fresh viewpoint.

[r->] [OFF]
From: Jean-Yves Avenard on
Michael Kuyumcu wrote:
> Hi Jean-Yves,
>
> I have already worked with prototypes of the N'spire. The battery life
> time was about 3 to 4 hours when the calculator was running, rebooting
> took about a full minute to load a custom-written OS for the calc. The
> CAS was still very buggy (we found 5 serious problems within 15
> minutes), while the dynamic graphics package is already working
> smoothly though not elegantly. There is an extensive test review on
> this N'spire prototype available at

and you weren't under a NDA when you reviewed prototypes ? would be
extremely unusual.
In which case whatever you posted here is in breach of such agreement.

Jean-Yves
From: Gene on

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> and you weren't under a NDA when you reviewed prototypes ? would be
> extremely unusual.
> In which case whatever you posted here is in breach of such agreement.
>
> Jean-Yves

Gene: Strangely, some here on the group don't seem to think such things
matter. Of course, I sincerely hope such individuals aren't brought
into any future NDAs with HP, since they would feel no compunction
about keeping their side of the agreement.

JYA, will be good to meet you at HHC2006!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: HP50g vs. Voyage 200
Next: HPUserEdit crash at launch