From: Gene on

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> It's entirely different to thinking NDA do not matter. If I have signed
> such document, I will respect all terms of it
>
> Jean-Yves

Gene: My fault. I'm referring to an email from a regular participant on
this group that went to my gmail account. The email made it quite clear
that NDAs meant nothing to this person.

And, for the record, I do not and did not report any NDA "breakers". I
do speak out when it appears someone is leaking things in advance,
things that ought to be under an NDA, since that can make it much less
likely for trust to be displayed by HP in the future.

From: Michael Kuyumcu on
Hi Jean-Yves,

if I had agreed to such an NDA (which, I suppose, stands for
Non-Disclosure Agreement), I would be aware of it. I use my
consciousness on a regular basis and know quite well whether or not I
commit a breach of anything legal.

The situation is the following: TI has made a deal with the Ministry of
Education in one of the German Länder, namely Schleswig-Holstein, to
provide 120 free units of the N'spire to every school elected to
participate in a special CAS-based math education project. I am a
teacher at one of these schools, and all participating teachers in the
Land of Schleswig-Holstein were invited to get to know prototypes of
the TI technology, while another group learned about the Casio
Classpad, and a third group dealt with the MuPad software of the
Sciface company. As TI had not been able to fully develop their N'spire
technology to that presentation date, but still wanted to give a first
impression of their products, a presentation with 30 calculator
prototypes and alpha state PC software was given. And no-one had to
sign any agreement as to not to divulge anything they experienced or
discovered with these devices. In fact, no teacher would have signed
such a ridiculuous gag agreement.

Strangely, HP does not seem interested in aquainting new generations of
students with their - conceptually superior - calculators. As TI,
Casio, and Sciface give the schools these 120 free units, in return,
the schools bind themselves to equip the following three years of
students with the same devices - at the school's cost! So these
companies gain a first firm standing in the schools, every student will
know their products, and will probably continue to buy and use them
also when school is over and they attend university. Why change a
complex technology you have just gotten used to? So I think HP Germany
has given away a tremendous opportunity here.

Accidentally, what I wrote about the TI deadlines turned out wrong just
today. We teachers have all received "pre-production" N'spires (with
usual batteries), and many of the formerly observed problems seem to
have been already fixed, especially concerning the dynamic graphics
application. From my point of view, now TI clearly has the better
product than HP, which is not surprising because the technology of the
49G+/50g has come of age by now. The HP features a great and comparably
fast processor, the ARM, but has not yet taken any serious steps
towards a native programming development suite for that processor,
which, to my mind, is treating the customers in a rather patronizing
way. I know of Cyrilles latest post to the hpgcc group about ARMCODE
object embedment into the ROM - but she calls this step unofficial. HP
simply and regrettably hasn't had the courage to invest sufficient
funds into the tailoring of the OS for the ARM, and I think will now
pay for that decision with either a) having to lag begind TI for quite
a while or b) resort to satisfy nostalgic-minded customers and HP
affectionados who use their calculator more as a toy than than as a
real-world necessity.

Of course, the "pre-production" N'spires we received today have come
without any NDA. In fact, they have come without any written document,
there is not even a user's manual. What what the heck, experimenting
with new calculators and software is something I love! And I will
continue to publish test results, and be it only to provide some sort
of qualified user feedback for TI so that they can further improve
their latest calculator flagship. I think the N'spire will provide
quite a boost for motivation and math learning for students and teacher
alike with problems approaching real-life complexity in the classroom
and I am looking forward to this. Frankly, I would have preferred to
work with HP calcs, but they don't match up anymore (and thinking they
were leading once makes me somewhat sad). They more and more rapidly
become outdated.

Regards,
Michael Kuyumcu

From: Yao Konan on
Hi i am very interested by any kind of review about the TI-Nspire.
As you have the opportunity to work with prototype could you do a
review of these prototypes or agree to answer some questions regarding
them ?
Thanks.

From: Michael Kuyumcu on
Hi Yao Konan,

thanks for your interest in the Nspire.

I have not written any tests yet (it's very new), and if/when I should
do so, it probably will be in German. I don't know whether or not I
will publish that review online or only mail it to TI. Maybe I will
publish a web URL on the HP group although it feels strange to annouce
something about a competitor's product on the HP list.

So there are a lot of maybe's here, and I don't know if I will find the
time soon. As a teacher, there are many other things on my mind. I am
sure you will understand.

Regards,
Michael Kuyumcu

From: Steen Schmidt on
Michael Kuyumcu wrote:

> [...] I know of Cyrilles latest post to the hpgcc
> group about ARMCODE object embedment into the ROM - but she calls
> this step unofficial.[...]

"She"? Ouch, Cyrille, stop shaving ;-)

Cheers,
Steen
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: HP50g vs. Voyage 200
Next: HPUserEdit crash at launch