From: JB on

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> JB wrote:
> > you will be on the page that is titled HP Graphing Calculators where
> > you are prompted to select your calculator from a list of calculator
> > models but you notice that the HP 50g is not on the list!!!
> the hp50 has just been released.
> I wouldn't put too much emphasis for what appears on a web site when the
> calculator hasn't been out for a month yet
> > think I'll pass on buying a 50g and wait for the TI-inspire due out
> > after the first of the year and see what it provides.
> And when is the N'spire supposed to be out?
>
> From the various web site I gather it won't be available outside of a
> few european countries
>
> JY
Hello JY you asked when is the N'spire supposed to be out?
>From what I gather from various web sites, the Ti-inspire is due out in
the spring in the US, and I have a voyage 200 that I use all the time
and my 200 has never had any any hardware or software problems. It's
just that I like to have the latest gadets. So I thought I might by a
50g, but to be honest I've had faulty products from HP before and then
sat on hold for literally hours trying to get some customer service, so
I am very skeptical that everything is fine now with HP and with the
50g. I guess I'll just wait a while and see what happens. Sometimes
it takes a while for problems to show up in a new product and if
problems do show up in the 50g, I'm skeptical that HP would do anything
to remedy the bad stuff they already shipped. I mean just consider
how many calc's they must have shipped with with poor keyboards. I do
see some enthusiasm on this site for the 50g though but I think it
quite likely that most of those messages are coming from Hp marketing
personel? Thanks for the question. I guess I got to long winded in
answering it. - JB

From: JB on

Michael Kuyumcu wrote:
> Hi Jean-Yves,
>
> I have already worked with prototypes of the N'spire. The battery life
> time was about 3 to 4 hours when the calculator was running, rebooting
> took about a full minute to load a custom-written OS for the calc. The
> CAS was still very buggy (we found 5 serious problems within 15
> minutes), while the dynamic graphics package is already working
> smoothly though not elegantly. There is an extensive test review on
> this N'spire prototype available at
> http://www.noemanetz.de/folgeseiten/artikel/CIMS-SH_Fortbildung.html
> but it's in German only.
>
> The N'spire, according to a TI representative I met in person was
> supposed to be out by August, but it's not. The latest new publishing
> date is planned as "September", but my colleagues and I doubt that. TI
> allegedly wants to change the batteries to lithium cells, which should
> take a bit of readjustment. And you just can't trust the CAS at the
> moment. One minute, it solves a system of linear equations with 2
> unknowns, and the other moment it wouldn't. One minute, you can grab a
> parabola and change it dynamically with the "mouse pointer" (there is
> no mouse), the other it refuses to work. The solution of the TI
> representative to this problem was spectactular: remove all 4 batteries
> from the device, put them into another one, power that one up, and
> suddenly it worked...
>
> Regards,
> Michael Kuyumcu
>

> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > JB wrote:
> > > you will be on the page that is titled HP Graphing Calculators where
> > > you are prompted to select your calculator from a list of calculator
> > > models but you notice that the HP 50g is not on the list!!!
> > the hp50 has just been released.
> > I wouldn't put too much emphasis for what appears on a web site when the
> > calculator hasn't been out for a month yet
> > > think I'll pass on buying a 50g and wait for the TI-inspire due out
> > > after the first of the year and see what it provides.
> > And when is the N'spire supposed to be out?
> >
> > From the various web site I gather it won't be available outside of a
> > few european countries
> >
> > JY
To reply to Michael Kuyumcu: I guess that is the difference between Ti
and Hp. Ti fixes product problems BEFORE they release the product.

From: laurent.joliaferrier on

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> JB wrote:
> > you will be on the page that is titled HP Graphing Calculators where
> > you are prompted to select your calculator from a list of calculator
> > models but you notice that the HP 50g is not on the list!!!
> the hp50 has just been released.
> I wouldn't put too much emphasis for what appears on a web site when the
> calculator hasn't been out for a month yet
> > think I'll pass on buying a 50g and wait for the TI-inspire due out
> > after the first of the year and see what it provides.
> And when is the N'spire supposed to be out?
>
> From the various web site I gather it won't be available outside of a
> few european countries
>
> JY

Dynatech (www.dynatech.com) remove all information about TI Nspire
today. They don't know when it will be released.

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
JB wrote:
> and my 200 has never had any any hardware or software problems.
It has bugs and the keyboard of the TI's has never been quite right
mushy...at least my TI-89 HW1 was...

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:08:16 -0500, JB wrote:

> I have never heard of a bad batch with my two TI calc's.

It wasn't an isolated "bad batch" -- it was a completely bad physical
keyboard design, which then was revised for all succeeding production
(and then a third version, which finally produced faultless keyboards
for the 49G+ and continues for all 50G).

Even early, faulty keyboard "bounce" was largely compensated for
by ROM adjustments, although "keys breaking off" was not :)

TI, of course, has never had poor physical production
(dirt-collecting screens, "mushy" keys...)

> what telephone number would I call at HP
> for calculator customer service. TI has the toll free number
> 1-800-TI-CARES to resolve any calculator issues so I assume
> that HP has a similiar number but I may be wrong.

Why, you seem to be right!

In the back of my 49G+ User's Manual are service phone numbers
for every country, USA/Canada sharing 800-HP-INVENT
(which answered immediately when I just called).

This seems to bring up an old question:
Which is worth more -- a pound of invention or a pound of care?

I get "Error: Inconsistent Units"

[r->] [OFF]
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12