From: haveyouanybeef on
i have no idea how it happened, but everytime i boot up i get
SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0: toshiba mk4025gas-(pm)

1720 - S.M.A.R.T hard drive detects imminent failure(failing
attr:05h)
please back up contents of hard drive
run hdd self testin f2 setup

f1 to continue

so, i've run the hdd self test, but it conked out half way through
after tellling me that (some part) of the test failed.

even worse

when i push f1 to start up my computer, it starts telling me stuff
like, your computer hasent started windows so pick safe mode or
normal. when i go to safe mode, it jsut restarts and sends me back to
the smart failure screen. When i go normal mode, i get a flash of blue
screen and it conks out before i can read it.

Fortunately i had backed up a majority of the important information on
my computer, so data recovery isnt the problem. What i dont know, is
if this means a new hard drive, a new computer or if theres any to
remedy the situation by reformatting or something of the sort.

Thanks in advance

From: ISOHaven on
I've only had one SMART HD fail it's own tests and I had to return it to the
manufacture. I don't believe there is anything an end user can do to remedy
a SMART drive that fails it's own tests.