From: Helene on
My friend's computer started locking up when she was on the internet. Her
brother tried to work on it and look for a virus. He found a couple of
viruses and thought he had removed them. It still was locking up, but we
used the restore disk to go back to factory settings. Now it will go until
it starts to load the monitor and locks up. If we restart sometimes it
continues on further, but always locks up before actually fully loading win
98. I have reformated the hard drive, but it made no difference at all. I
believe we have all the disks that came with the computer, but it doesn't it
seems to be wanting a disk we don't have. At one point it says "insert Acer
monitor installation disk. We have a disk with all the drivers, but the
computer locks up before we can click ok.

Could it have anything to do with the fact the first guy who worked on it
hooked the computer up with his monitor, which would have changed the
settings? I would think reformating the disk and using the restore disk
would have taken care of that.

I sure would appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Helene

From: Joel on
Are you trying to use the DVI connector? If there is a VGA connector, try
using it instead. If you reformatted, then there is no way the other guy's
monitor installation is causing you problems.

Do you know how to go into Safe Mode? It might be the F8 key when you boot
up, or your screen might have a different key to press to go into Safe Mode.
Try booting up in Safe Mode to see what happens. If you can get in Safe
Mode, update your monitor drivers then.

From: Joel on
Wait a minute, are you absolutely sure you reformatted? It is possible to
use a restore disk without actually erasing everything on your drive. Did
you guys at any time during the restore select something that specifically
said "format"? If so, that should have taken care of any virus that you
supposedly had.

From: Pelysma on

"Helene" <helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> My friend's computer started locking up when she was on the internet. >

This one (PII/400MHz/W98SE) recently had a nasty habit of locking up and
either freezing in its tracks or rebooting without warning. The problem
turned out to be a bad memory stick. Quite possibly just one memory
location was bad, and not often used, but when the computer ran into that
spot in memory, the machine stopped dead in its tracks.

All the memory in this machine is used/salvaged and at least six years old,
so that's not too surprising. I removed one stick and what is left in the
machine passes Norton's test.

Freezes in W98 can also be caused by mismatched or out-of-date device
drivers, particularly for network and video cards, and by spyware toolbars
trying to call home and running into something not configured as the
programmer expected. Uninstalling the MSN toolbar has made this one a
little more reliable.

--
P.

From: Helene on
I can get into safe mode. I will try updating the drivers. I know I
reformated. I did it from dos with the format command "format c: /s

Helene