From: WebWalker on
Try to close inspection the motherboard's capacitors.
Check whether they are leaking?

--
WebWalker
email: webwalker(a)bluebottle.com
From: Joel on
If the memory was bad, the computer would not boot at all.

From: kony on
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:36:02 GMT, "Helene"
<helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:

>My friend's computer started locking up when she was on the internet. Her
>brother tried to work on it and look for a virus. He found a couple of
>viruses and thought he had removed them. It still was locking up, but we
>used the restore disk to go back to factory settings. Now it will go until
>it starts to load the monitor and locks up. If we restart sometimes it
>continues on further, but always locks up before actually fully loading win
>98. I have reformated the hard drive, but it made no difference at all. I
>believe we have all the disks that came with the computer, but it doesn't it
>seems to be wanting a disk we don't have. At one point it says "insert Acer
>monitor installation disk. We have a disk with all the drivers, but the
>computer locks up before we can click ok.
>
>Could it have anything to do with the fact the first guy who worked on it
>hooked the computer up with his monitor, which would have changed the
>settings? I would think reformating the disk and using the restore disk
>would have taken care of that.
>
>I sure would appreciate any help you can give me with this.

With a system that age a lot of things could be
progressively going bad. Prime suspects are things newer
systems are also susceptible to like failing capacitors on
the motherboard or in the power supply, or overheating due
to dust accumulation in the vents or the more obvious fan
failures of CPU or PSU fan. CPU fan failure would tend to
crash a box sooner than PSU, I doubt that if the system were
cold-off and started, that a PSU fan failure would crash the
system before windows had even finished loading. It'd take
a CPU fan failure awhile to result in overheat too, but
"maybe" within 2-3 minutes its possible with a small
heatsink and relatively hot-running CPU.

It could easily be that there are still viri, other malware,
or system file damage remaining that was not corrected
previiously, though if the system restore does what I
suspect, completely replaces the old files with the factory
image and ALL new files, that should not be an issue.

What exactly happens when it locks up? At which point in
the boot process and what is showing on screen?

Next time you try it, hit F8 (maybe F5 instead, I forget)
repeatedly right after the bios screens are finishing and
it's about to show the windows boot logo. That should take
you to a boot menu where you can choose a logged boot.
Doing this you will then have the log of where the system
was when it crashed. Upon the next boot attempt you can
choose to go to a command prompt and then type at the prompt
(including the word type):

type bootlog.txt

that will scroll the bootlog made during the last boot
attempt. Note the last item or two in the list as that
"might" be revealing. Continue to make this bootlog each
time you try to boot to windows and then if/when it fails
again, go back and compare the bootlog with the "type
bootlog.txt", noting whether it always stops at the same
list item.

Also try booting to safe mode (also on the boot menu).
In safe mode it will be running at low color and resolution
so you can go into display properties and choose a low
refresh rate that is compatible with your monitor. If your
monitor is very old or small, like 14-15", you might need to
set a particularly low refresh rate like 56 Hz or
interlaced. Using the Acer restore disk should've taken
care of this, BUT if later changes were made to windows, or
windows itself plug-n-played a setting that is incompatible,
then safe mode would hopefully allow a different monitor
setting to be made.

At some point you will have to determine whether it's worth
the time and possible expense to continue trying to get this
old system working or to invest in something newer.

From: Helene on
I did the bootlog, and it does seem to hang up at the same place every time.
Is there any way to see what would have loaded next?

Helene

From: Helene on
That makes sense since there is only one card.