From: kony on
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:57:42 GMT, "Helene"
<helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:

>You are so right about guessing, which is sure what I've been doing. I
>appreciate all the ideas I've received from this group. I think I've pretty
>much eliminated any bad drivers by reformatting the disk. I have also used
>the restore disk a couple of times, which totally wipes the disk and starts
>over. The problem is that on the disk with this computer there is no option
>to just go back and restore at a certain point or to reinstall Windows. The
>only option is to start over. I also did a reformatting with WDClean
>yesterday that completely cleans the hard drive. The memory test showed no
>errors. The config.sys and autoexec.bat files do not have any information,
>so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem. Not sure if there
>should be with Win. 98-SE.

I can't speak for your particular hardware (since I dont'
know exactly what's in the system) but in general, win98se
does not need anything in the autoexec.bat or config.sys
files. Usually when there was something in those it would
pertain to a legacy (old ISA) sound card or very (older) old
CDROM drive predating win98se itself. When those devices
existed and the drivers weren't in the autoexec/config
files, the device simply wouldn't work, it would not stop
the booting process.

If your motherboard has integrated features (like sound or
whatever) the next step might be to try disabling those
(temporarily), with bios menu settings if applicable or via
jumpers on the board if necessary... I doubt we could help
find those jumpers, the manual or a web search might be
necessary.
From: Helene on
I don't see any leaks. In fact this computer is pristine inside. She must
keep it in a very clean environment--unlike mine.

Helene

From: Helene on

"kony" <spam(a)spam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:57:42 GMT, "Helene"
> <helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>>You are so right about guessing, which is sure what I've been doing. I
>>appreciate all the ideas I've received from this group. I think I've
>>pretty
>>much eliminated any bad drivers by reformatting the disk. I have also used
>>the restore disk a couple of times, which totally wipes the disk and
>>starts
>>over. The problem is that on the disk with this computer there is no
>>option
>>to just go back and restore at a certain point or to reinstall Windows.
>>The
>>only option is to start over. I also did a reformatting with WDClean
>>yesterday that completely cleans the hard drive. The memory test showed
>>no
>>errors. The config.sys and autoexec.bat files do not have any information,
>>so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem. Not sure if there
>>should be with Win. 98-SE.
>
> I can't speak for your particular hardware (since I dont'
> know exactly what's in the system) but in general, win98se
> does not need anything in the autoexec.bat or config.sys
> files. Usually when there was something in those it would
> pertain to a legacy (old ISA) sound card or very (older) old
> CDROM drive predating win98se itself. When those devices
> existed and the drivers weren't in the autoexec/config
> files, the device simply wouldn't work, it would not stop
> the booting process.
>
> If your motherboard has integrated features (like sound or
> whatever) the next step might be to try disabling those
> (temporarily), with bios menu settings if applicable or via
> jumpers on the board if necessary... I doubt we could help
> find those jumpers, the manual or a web search might be
> necessary.

Thanks for on info on config.sys and autoexec.bat. I will stop worrying
about them. As far as the changes to the bios or jumpers, I'm going to pass
on that. I'm simply not knowledgeable enough to try it. I think I'm going to
declare this computer dead if it doesn't cure itself real fast.

Helene