From: kony on
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:57:41 GMT, "Helene"
<helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:

>I did the bootlog, and it does seem to hang up at the same place every time.

It would be good to not hold back, go ahead and provide
deatils like this as it could be potentially useful
information in helping us help you.

>Is there any way to see what would have loaded next?

Maybe, but we'd need to know where it stopped. There might
be some bootlogs posted online that you could google for but
I have a box running win98 here that I could check too.
Here is a bootlog from a win98se system,
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/BOOTLOG.TXT
While both systems may not share all common boot items it
can still help to narrow things down and the next item
"might" be the same still.

Also if you use that same boot menu but choose "Step-by-Step
confirmation" you might have a more clear indication of
whether the last item in the bootlog had finished loading
and it was proceeding to the next one.

From: Helene on
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate the time everyone is
giving me. I ran the bootlog again several times, and it goes almost to the
end of the log (according to your bootlog.) It stops when it starts the
enumerated section. it does a tape controller and floppy disk controller and
then stops. It finished with both of those.

Another thing is that the computer always goes to the startup menu where you
can choose how you want to start without ever pressing f8 or Ctrl.

Helene

From: Pelysma on

"Helene" <helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> I found out there is only 1 memory card, so could play around much. I did
> make sure it was seated properly, and it is.

Anything we can offer on Usenet is a guess, and you've made progress if you
have eliminated one or two reasonable but incorrect guesses.

Reading farther down the thread, your problem sounds like a software issue,
such as a corrupt driver. Have you tried starting the machine from the
Windows installation CD-ROM? Later versions of Windows came on a bootable
CD, and I'm not sure at the moment whether W98 was or not. If you could
reinstall Windows from that CD, you might be able to restore a file that is
causing your problem. Note that a reinstallation does not have to disturb
your programs and data. There is an option to repair an existing
installation.

There are several things that can stop a computer of this age and type, some
hardware, some software.

One of the first I always look at is whether the CPU fan is turning. If it
is not, the computer will usually shut itself off after anywhere from 30
seconds to a few minutes. But you say it "freezes." That's not the same as
"shutting down."

Win98 can freeze during boot if a device driver is damaged or incorrect. I
just untangled this one, even since posting last night, because I went to
Windows Update and uninstalled a recommended network adapter driver update
that turned out to be completely wrong. I had to use my other computer to
download good drivers from Intel and move them to this machine before I
could get back on the Internet. The symptoms for that did not look like
what you describe, either; during startup I got an error message saying that
a driver could not be found. That was a text message on a blank background.

Windows can freeze when a program is started up if that program does not
have the resources to complete a "thread" that is running. There are
several possible causes for this. My Scrabout program started freezing
recently because it could not find the dictionary file after another
computer on the network modified it and told Scrabout to look in a different
place for it--an inaccessable network folder.

Files can become damaged in minor ways due to old disks or errors in
programs. The kind of memory error I described can also be caused by a disk
surface problem if the area with the bad sector is being used for virtual
memory.

New programs are sometimes written with programming tools called JIT for
Just-In-Time Compilation, which in theory makes Web programs work on a wider
variety of platforms (read Linux, Windows, and Mac). The tools these
programs depend upon are included in Windows XP but must be added to W98.
They include the .NET Framework, Windows Common Runtime, and Java Runtime
Environment. These are available from Windows Update. Not having one would
usually cause the program simply not to run, so that you wouldn't see
animation on a Web page, for instance. However, a program called for in
startup could hang while loading if one of the "threads" of the program
calls for another program that cannot run.

All of these, sight unseen, are just guesses, things to consider and rule
out. You are on the right track looking in the log file for the "next thing
that loads," and I'm sorry I can't tell you the answer to that one, but
someone here probably will.

--
P.

From: kony on
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:09:54 GMT, "Helene"
<helenejg(a)frontiernet.net> wrote:

>Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate the time everyone is
>giving me. I ran the bootlog again several times, and it goes almost to the
>end of the log (according to your bootlog.) It stops when it starts the
>enumerated section. it does a tape controller and floppy disk controller and
>then stops. It finished with both of those.

It's kind of ironic, this is one of very few systems here
that doesn't have a floppy drive in it so no floppy
controller active. I've re-enabled the floppy controller
and here's the resultant bootlog;
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/BOOTLOG2.TXT

>Another thing is that the computer always goes to the startup menu where you
>can choose how you want to start without ever pressing f8 or Ctrl.

I suppose that is to be expected, since the system doesn't
finish booting on the last attempt.

Below an excerpt of that log containing the now-present
floppy controller enumeration entry, if it corresponds
closely enough to yours, does it appear it is not loading
the entry "[00174CE9] Enumerating Plug and Play Software
Device"?

If the floppy controller entry is the last one, try
unplugging your floppy drive data cable then reboot. If it
still fails you might also see if there's a bios setting to
disable the floppy controller (temporarily).

Does the system boot successfully to safe mode? Perhaps
you've already told us but I've forgotten. If it does boot
to safe mode ok and the above removal of floppy and
controller functions doesn't help, try merging the following
registry entry after booting to safe run (Just click on it
from the desktop. Of course, if you're trying to transfer
it from a floppy disc, you'd have to copy it in DOS first,
or boot to safe mode, copy it and then power off before
disconnecting the drive (and booting to safe mode again if
necessary).
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/win9x_wdm_audio.reg

That file essentially adds (or perhaps re-adds) the Plug and
Play Software Device to your registry. I don't know if it
will help but the entry should be in your registry and at
worst it will just put in what was already there (which is
not a problem).

=====Begin BOTLOG.TXT Excerpt=========

LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\coure.fon
LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\coure.fon
LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\symbole.fon
LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\symbole.fon
LoadStart = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\smalle.fon
LoadSuccess = C:\WINDOWS\fonts\smalle.fon
LoadSuccess = user.exe
LoadStart = MSGSRV32.EXE
LoadSuccess = MSGSRV32.EXE
Init = Final USER
InitDone = Final USER
Init = Installable Drivers
InitDone = Installable Drivers
Init = TSRQuery
InitDone = TSRQuery
[00174ADD] Enumerating Standard Floppy Disk Controller
(ACPI\*PNP0700\0)
[00174AE0] Enumerated Standard Floppy Disk Controller
(ACPI\*PNP0700\0)

[00174CE9] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device
Enumerator (ROOT\SWENUM\0000)

[00174CEB] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device
Enumerator (ROOT\SWENUM\0000)
[00174CEC] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Renderer
(SW\{A7C7A5B0-5AF3-11D1-9CED-00A024BF0407}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174CED] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Renderer
(SW\{A7C7A5B0-5AF3-11D1-9CED-00A024BF0407}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174CEE] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
(SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174CF0] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
(SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174CF1] Enumerating Microsoft DirectMusic SW Synth (WDM)
(SW\{8C07DD50-7A8D-11D2-8F8C-00C04FBF8FEF}\DMUSIC)
[00174CF2] Enumerated Microsoft DirectMusic SW Synth (WDM)
(SW\{8C07DD50-7A8D-11D2-8F8C-00C04FBF8FEF}\DMUSIC)
[00174D06] Enumerating Plug and Play Software Device
Enumerator (ROOT\SWENUM\0000)
[00174D08] Enumerated Plug and Play Software Device
Enumerator (ROOT\SWENUM\0000)
[00174D09] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel System Renderer
(SW\{A7C7A5B0-5AF3-11D1-9CED-00A024BF0407}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174D0A] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel System Renderer
(SW\{A7C7A5B0-5AF3-11D1-9CED-00A024BF0407}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174D0C] Enumerating Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
(SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})
[00174D0D] Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
(SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4})

From: Helene on
You are so right about guessing, which is sure what I've been doing. I
appreciate all the ideas I've received from this group. I think I've pretty
much eliminated any bad drivers by reformatting the disk. I have also used
the restore disk a couple of times, which totally wipes the disk and starts
over. The problem is that on the disk with this computer there is no option
to just go back and restore at a certain point or to reinstall Windows. The
only option is to start over. I also did a reformatting with WDClean
yesterday that completely cleans the hard drive. The memory test showed no
errors. The config.sys and autoexec.bat files do not have any information,
so I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem. Not sure if there
should be with Win. 98-SE.

Helene