From: Yousuf Khan on
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
> In article <1nc2q5d6okvl6cuv5nufi0vcahj8m6rbp9(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
> <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> writes
>> XP apparently will not be able to cope with drives that present 4KB
>> sectors to the OS.
>
> I don't see why. All it should need to do is load a hard disk
> controller driver that reads 4k sectors from the disk and present them
> to the OS in 512-byte chunks.
>
> I had a meg-optical drive once which used 2048-byte sectors. That
> worked fine once a driver was loaded for it.

Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.

Yousuf Khan
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <4bb96525$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> writes

>Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.

Aye, there is that.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

From: Arno on
Mike Tomlinson <mike(a)jasper.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <4bb96525$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan
> <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> writes
>>
>>Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.

> Aye, there is that.

And there you have one of the limitations of closed source
software. No long-term perspective, unless the vendor has one.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Rod Speed on

Dont worry about BOG, he got kicked out of the biggest sheltered
workshop in the country, and it should be obvious why that happened.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:20:50 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>> In article <1nc2q5d6okvl6cuv5nufi0vcahj8m6rbp9(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
>> <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> writes
>>> XP apparently will not be able to cope with drives that present 4KB
>>> sectors to the OS.
>>
>> I don't see why. All it should need to do is load a hard disk
>> controller driver that reads 4k sectors from the disk and present them
>> to the OS in 512-byte chunks.
>>
>> I had a meg-optical drive once which used 2048-byte sectors. That
>> worked fine once a driver was loaded for it.
>
>Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.
>
> Yousuf Khan

If the hard drive manufacturers want to sell their drives to the huge
XP user base, then I would think that they would write the drivers
themselves.

I believe that WD provides a sector "alignment" utility to optimise
their 4KB sectored drives for use with XP.

- Franc Zabkar