From: frex on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:49:24 +1000, Franc Zabkar
<fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:20:50 -0400, Yousuf Khan
><bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>Mike Tomlinson wrote:
>>> In article <1nc2q5d6okvl6cuv5nufi0vcahj8m6rbp9(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
>>> <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> writes
>>>
>>> I don't see why. All it should need to do is load a hard disk
>>> controller driver that reads 4k sectors from the disk and present them
>>> to the OS in 512-byte chunks.
>>>
>>> I had a meg-optical drive once which used 2048-byte sectors. That
>>> worked fine once a driver was loaded for it.
>>
>>Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
>If the hard drive manufacturers want to sell their drives to the huge
>XP user base, then I would think that they would write the drivers
>themselves.
>
>- Franc Zabkar

If there is a good money making base of XP users, you better believe
after market guys will fill the need.
From: bbbl67 on
On Apr 18, 8:49 pm, Franc Zabkar <fzab...(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:20:50 -0400, Yousuf Khan
> <bbb...(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
> >Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.
>
> >    Yousuf Khan
>
> If the hard drive manufacturers want to sell their drives to the huge
> XP user base, then I would think that they would write the drivers
> themselves.

Not necessary, the first generation of such drives will have a built-
in translator mode. By the time these manufacturers are ready to
remove the translator mode (if ever), then XP will be a long-dead
operating system.

> I believe that WD provides a sector "alignment" utility to optimise
> their 4KB sectored drives for use with XP.

Do they already exist?

Yousuf Khan
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:57:42 -0700 (PDT), bbbl67 <yjkhan(a)gmail.com>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>On Apr 18, 8:49�pm, Franc Zabkar <fzab...(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 00:20:50 -0400, Yousuf Khan
>> <bbb...(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>> >Good luck in getting Microsoft to write anymore drivers for XP.
>>
>> > � �Yousuf Khan
>>
>> If the hard drive manufacturers want to sell their drives to the huge
>> XP user base, then I would think that they would write the drivers
>> themselves.
>
>Not necessary, the first generation of such drives will have a built-
>in translator mode. By the time these manufacturers are ready to
>remove the translator mode (if ever), then XP will be a long-dead
>operating system.

WD's 4KB sectored drives have a jumper.

>> I believe that WD provides a sector "alignment" utility to optimise
>> their 4KB sectored drives for use with XP.
>
>Do they already exist?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Yes.

Advanced Format Hard Drive Download Utility:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/

What models utilize Advanced Format technology?

"Some models of the WD Caviar Green and WD Scorpio Blue product
families are built using Advanced Format technology. Over time more
models and capacities will be added. WD drives with Advanced Format
technology include special installation information on the drive label
so be sure to read the label on your drive before installing it."

- Franc Zabkar