From: thecreator on
Hi Joni,

Power Button on the computer or Power Button on the External Hard Drive
are you talking about?

How old is the computer in question?

--
thecreator

From: jemster on
Power button on the computer. Sorry, I thought it was called the hard
drive-the tower or whatever.

From: jemster on
I'm sure there was a time when you didn't know what you know now. I'm sure
there are also things I know that you don't.
I think I do pretty well for a 66 year od bat!!!

From: Daave on
Ah. :-)

This is what a hard drive looks like:

http://rjmcomputersboise.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/hardrive2.jpg

(opened up)
http://learnthat.com/files/2010/03/hard-drive.jpg

If your PC (personal computer) is a desktop, you can probably call it a
tower. :-)

The hard drive, by the way, contains data (operating system, programs,
and all your many files like documents, photos, etc.).

jemster wrote:
> Power button on the computer. Sorry, I thought it was called the hard
> drive-the tower or whatever.
>

> "thecreator" <thecreator(a)home.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Joni,
>>
>> Power Button on the computer or Power Button on the External
>> Hard Drive are you talking about?
>>
>> How old is the computer in question?
>>

>> --
>> thecreator
>>

>> "jemster" <jemster(a)gtcinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a Gateway desktop (Win XP Home w/sp3 IE 7) and lately it has
>>> been slowing down painfully slow despite running Avira anti-virus,
>>> Spybot,, PConPoint, doing disk cleanup, defrag, etc. Last Thursday
>>> I turned on the monitor and when I pushed the power button on the
>>> hard drive it turned itself off after a minute so I kept doing it
>>> and each time it would load a little further before it shut off. It
>>> finally stayed on until I finished with email and shut it down.
>>> Friday went thru the same thing praying all the
>>> time it would let me do a system restore. I was able to do that to
>>> a week prior .and thought it would be ok...ha...doing my own
>>> thinking again. Saturday when I pushed the power button it would
>>> shut off as soon as my finger left the button. I could hear the fan
>>> turn on and off. I have so much
>>> stuff on that computer that I sure don't want to lose...oh I also
>>> have had a
>>> external hard drive connected to it. What do I do/try now?
>>> Thanks
>>> Joni

From: jemster on
Thanks Daave I needed that! :-) Also I was advised to get a case for my
external hard drive to use it with my laptop. Why do I need a case?