From: DevilsPGD on
In message <81528uF3jqU1(a)mid.individual.net> "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Finn Stampe Mikkelsen wrote
>
>> I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB
>> drives. They are about 1� years old and have run in an external HDD
>> box. Here they have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..
>
>> Now, they need to be moved to another box, where they will be mounted horizontally...
>
>> I seem to remember, that this used to represent a problem to the bearings in the drive...
>
>Nope.
>
>> Admitted, it has been some 15 years, since i heard about that about some disc's that crashed..
>
>The bearings used then were quite different to modern fluid bearings.
>
>And there wasnt a problem 15 years ago anyway.

Bearings weren't the problem 15 years ago, however, there was a problem
with regards to changing orientation of a drive.

Specifically, in those days stepper motors were used and the tracks on
platters were laid out based on where the motor's natural stops were
located.

When you changed orientation the stops could shift slightly. It wasn't
always a problem, but occasionally it was.

These days the motors that align heads don't dictate the location of
physical tracks, but rather the opposite, so it's a complete non-issue.
From: Rod Speed on
DevilsPGD wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Finn Stampe Mikkelsen wrote

>>> I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB
>>> drives. They are about 1� years old and have run in an external HDD
>>> box. Here they have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..

>>> Now, they need to be moved to another box,
>>> where they will be mounted horizontally...

>>> I seem to remember, that this used to represent
>>> a problem to the bearings in the drive...

>> Nope.

>>> Admitted, it has been some 15 years, since i heard
>>> about that about some disc's that crashed..

>> The bearings used then were quite different to modern fluid bearings.

>> And there wasnt a problem 15 years ago anyway.

> Bearings weren't the problem 15 years ago,

Yes they were a problem 15 years ago.

> however, there was a problem with regards to changing orientation of a drive.

> Specifically, in those days stepper motors were used

Nope, that was before that.

> and the tracks on platters were laid out based
> on where the motor's natural stops were located.

> When you changed orientation the stops could shift slightly.

Nope.

> It wasn't always a problem, but occasionally it was.

Nope, because those drives could do a low level format and
that needed to be done periodically due to sector jitter that
was only a problem with stepper motor head actuator drives
due to thermal effect, the exact position of the heads varied
with temperature.

> These days the motors that align heads don't dictate the location of
> physical tracks, but rather the opposite, so it's a complete non-issue.

Tell that to Seagate that does have a problem with vertical mounting.