From: Finn Stampe Mikkelsen on
Hi

I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.
They are about 1� years old and have run in an external HDD box. Here they
have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..

Now, they need to be moved to another box, where they will be mounted
horizontally...

I seem to remember, that this used to represent a problem to the bearings in
the drive... Admitted, it has been some 15 years, since i heard about that
about some disc's that crashed..

Is this still a problem? Especially regarding the discs mentioned above...

I can't seem to find out, if they have fluid bearings. If so, i dont think
it should be a problem..

TIA

/Finn
--
Der er 10 slags mennesker - Dem som forst�r bin�r og dem som ikke g�r.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who

From: Rod Speed on
Finn Stampe Mikkelsen wrote

> I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB
> drives. They are about 1� years old and have run in an external HDD
> box. Here they have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..

> Now, they need to be moved to another box, where they will be mounted horizontally...

> I seem to remember, that this used to represent a problem to the bearings in the drive...

Nope.

> Admitted, it has been some 15 years, since i heard about that about some disc's that crashed..

The bearings used then were quite different to modern fluid bearings.

And there wasnt a problem 15 years ago anyway.

> Is this still a problem?

It never was.

> Especially regarding the discs mentioned above...

There have been some reports of those particular drives dying when used vertically.

Its not clear why that happens.

> I can't seem to find out, if they have fluid bearings.

All current drives have for quite a while now.

> If so, i dont think it should be a problem..

There is a problem somewhere, not clear where tho.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_frm/thread/efdb50bdd948f6b9/535e56e76c4946b6?

From: Arno on
Finn Stampe Mikkelsen <stampe(a)city.dk> wrote:
> Hi

> I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.
> They are about 1? years old and have run in an external HDD box. Here they
> have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..

> Now, they need to be moved to another box, where they will be mounted
> horizontally...

> I seem to remember, that this used to represent a problem to the bearings in
> the drive... Admitted, it has been some 15 years, since i heard about that
> about some disc's that crashed..

> Is this still a problem? Especially regarding the discs mentioned above...

> I can't seem to find out, if they have fluid bearings. If so, i dont think
> it should be a problem..

They will have fluid bearings, it is standard now. Even with
classical bearings it is not an issue anymore, as bearing
quality has significantly imporved.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Finn Stampe Mikkelsen on
"Finn Stampe Mikkelsen" <stampe(a)city.dk> skrev i meddelelsen
> Hi
>
> I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.
> They are about 1� years old and have run in an external HDD box. Here they
> have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..

Thanks for your answers. I'm confident, that there will be no problem with
these drive, when they will be mounted horizontally...

/Finn

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:38:39 +0100, "Finn Stampe Mikkelsen"
<stampe(a)city.dk> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I have a situation, where i have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drives.
>They are about 1� years old and have run in an external HDD box. Here they
>have been mounted vertically and run as a FTP drive..
>
>Now, they need to be moved to another box, where they will be mounted
>horizontally...

Here is a thread which shows some curious results for a vertically
mounted drive:
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Internal-ATA-and-Serial-ATA/ST31000528AS-7200-12-1TB/m-p/42506

- Franc Zabkar