From: atec 77 "atec 77 on
Rod Speed wrote:
> idgat wrote
>> ^Tems^ <stevebrooks13(a)live.com> wrote
>
>>> someone that talked themselves up about knowing so much
>>> about computers would NEVER buy at Harvey Norman
>
>> And that's not HN's target demographic, because their
>> salespeople are just that - salespeople, and not IT competent.
>
> Some of them are.
>
>> The target demographic of HN are the plain and simple electrical
>> appliance purchasers, whether it be a 'fridge, washing machine,
>> dishwasher, electric shaver or computer - it makes no difference to
>> them.
>
>> And just like selling any other electrical appliance, if they can talk
>> you up a model level, or add on extras like software in the case of
>> computers, that's their $ sales line up. Who gives a stuff what's been
>> said ... except the customer a couple of weeks later, when it's too late,
>
> No one has ever tried to talk me up with electrical appliances.
That involve two things
getting a word in edgewise with through the verbiage and getting close
enough to talk below a shout which would be repulsive considering the
pile of debris and bullshite surrounding your feet at all occasions

From: copperboy on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:02:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>idgat wrote
>> ^Tems^ <stevebrooks13(a)live.com> wrote
>
>>> someone that talked themselves up about knowing so much
>>> about computers would NEVER buy at Harvey Norman
>
>> And that's not HN's target demographic, because their
>> salespeople are just that - salespeople, and not IT competent.
>
>Some of them are.
>
>> The target demographic of HN are the plain and simple electrical
>> appliance purchasers, whether it be a 'fridge, washing machine,
>> dishwasher, electric shaver or computer - it makes no difference to
>> them.
>
>> And just like selling any other electrical appliance, if they can talk
>> you up a model level, or add on extras like software in the case of
>> computers, that's their $ sales line up. Who gives a stuff what's been
>> said ... except the customer a couple of weeks later, when it's too late,
>
>No one has ever tried to talk me up with electrical appliances.
>
>> And that's one reason I don't go into HN - simply because I find it so
>> hard to hold my tongue, and not butt in and tell some sales-oik
>> talking to a potential computer customer that what's just been said is
>> total and utter bullshit, and warn the customer to go somewhere else!!
>> It's just so irrestible to do it!
>
>You get that with any operation flogging anything. Hardly any of them
>can afford to pay enough to get sales apes who know what they are doing.

That is exactly how your employer viewed you Rod.
From: SG1 on

"atec 77" <"atec 77 "@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> idgat wrote
>>> ^Tems^ <stevebrooks13(a)live.com> wrote

>>> And that's not HN's target demographic, because their
>>> salespeople are just that - salespeople, and not IT competent.
>>
>> Some of them are.
>>
>>> The target demographic of HN are the plain and simple electrical
>>> appliance purchasers, whether it be a 'fridge, washing machine,
>>> dishwasher, electric shaver or computer - it makes no difference to
>>> them.
>>
>>> And just like selling any other electrical appliance, if they can talk
>>> you up a model level, or add on extras like software in the case of
>>> computers, that's their $ sales line up. Who gives a stuff what's been
>>> said ... except the customer a couple of weeks later, when it's too
>>> late,
>>
>> No one has ever tried to talk me up with electrical appliances.
> That involve two things
> getting a word in edgewise with through the verbiage and getting close
> enough to talk below a shout which would be repulsive considering the
> pile of debris and bullshite surrounding your feet at all occasions
>>
>>> And that's one reason I don't go into HN - simply because I find it so
>>> hard to hold my tongue, and not butt in and tell some sales-oik
>>> talking to a potential computer customer that what's just been said is
>>> total and utter bullshit, and warn the customer to go somewhere else!!
>>> It's just so irrestible to do it!
>>
>> You get that with any operation flogging anything. Hardly any of them
>> can afford to pay enough to get sales apes who know what they are doing.

I have bought a cupla items at Hardley's and have not been bowled over by
bulldust. The reason being I knew what I wanted, I knew the price it was
else where. So the sales assitant went to his boss and came up with a much
reduced price we could both live with. The main item a 600mm electric/gas
stove was $30 more than the very special price in Brisbane at a
mover/retailer, this equated to about what I would have spent on fuel to go
get it.The other item was a BBQ for SWMBO (she loves it) it was on special
and no extras were offered.
Number 3 son worked for HN for a few years doing warehousing then selling
then on the computer help desk. He assisted folk who were too dumb to own a
computer but had to have one. He has moved on to repairing lappies for
another large mob.

From: Adolf on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:51:59 +1000, "SG1" <lostitall(a)the.races> wrote:

>I have bought a cupla items at Hardley's and have not been bowled over by
>bulldust. The reason being I knew what I wanted, I knew the price it was
>else where. So the sales assitant went to his boss and came up with a much
>reduced price we could both live with. The main item a 600mm electric/gas
>stove was $30 more than the very special price in Brisbane at a
>mover/retailer, this equated to about what I would have spent on fuel to go
>get it.The other item was a BBQ for SWMBO (she loves it) it was on special
>and no extras were offered.
>Number 3 son worked for HN for a few years doing warehousing then selling
>then on the computer help desk. He assisted folk who were too dumb to own a
>computer but had to have one. He has moved on to repairing lappies for
>another large mob.

Several weeks ago a $899 BBQ was discounted at one HN store to $849
whilst at another HN store not a million miles away the exact same
model was discounted about another $200 (as my memory serves me
correct, as they say on Iron Chef) cheaper than that.
From: Rod Speed on
SG1 wrote:
> "atec 77" <"atec 77 "@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Rod Speed wrote:
>>> idgat wrote

>>> Some of them are.

>>> No one has ever tried to talk me up with electrical appliances.
>> That involve two things
>> getting a word in edgewise with through the verbiage and getting
>> close enough to talk below a shout which would be repulsive
>> considering the pile of debris and bullshite surrounding your feet
>> at all occasions

>>> You get that with any operation flogging anything. Hardly any of
>>> them can afford to pay enough to get sales apes who know what they
>>> are doing.

> I have bought a cupla items at Hardley's and have not been bowled over by bulldust.

Me too. The salesdroid didnt even attempt to suggest anything except the extended warranty.

> The reason being I knew what I wanted, I knew the
> price it was else where. So the sales assitant went to his boss and
> came up with a much reduced price we could both live with. The main
> item a 600mm electric/gas stove was $30 more than the very special
> price in Brisbane at a mover/retailer, this equated to about what I
> would have spent on fuel to go get it.The other item was a BBQ for
> SWMBO (she loves it) it was on special and no extras were offered.

> Number 3 son worked for HN for a few years doing warehousing then
> selling then on the computer help desk. He assisted folk who were too
> dumb to own a computer but had to have one. He has moved on to
> repairing lappies for another large mob.

Yeah, same thing with a mate of mine's #1 son who does know what hes doing.